AuthorTopic: 8-Bit Starfire From DC Comics  (Read 1544 times)

Offline thesydneylad

• View Profile

8-Bit Starfire From DC Comics

on: October 18, 2018, 06:15:07 am
I've since watched a bunch of Proko ['drawing human anatomy' videos] repeatedly (and will continue to) and I decided to do Starfire.

The character is in a pose I felt was appropriate for a side scrolling shoot 'em up. Starfire is known as a happy character, so I used light colors to reflect this. The theoretical game that came to mind was something like Fantasy Zone, or Panorama Cotton.

I scarified the green for the eyes for the sake of a darker shade of purple so the overall sprite would look better. Without the shading, it looked like a big blob, to me, anyway.

I've included my own sketch (sorry if you can't tell what you're seeing), a reference picture and my own pixel art.

Starfire reference picture (very large pic):
https://i.imgur.com/6of95L1.jpg

Sketch (very large):
https://i.imgur.com/PzPqDyN.jpg

I had second thoughts for the pose. Instead of Star facing backwards, I decided that I wanted her to face forwards.

Pixel art:

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: 8-Bit Starfire From DC Comics

Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 08:16:18 am
Hey there! You're getting better! This one is more simple than your past sprites, and you're starting to get a better sense for anatomy at this scale. I think her pose could stand to be a bit more majestic- right now it kind of looks like she isn't used to flight/ levitation.

Since you've been trying to go 8bit, I think you can use the red of her hair as a shade color. Kinda gives her an ethereal "burning" look which really fits the character. This keeps her at 3+1 colors.

I did two versions, the first got a little out of hand with the scale, so I tried to go back to something closer to your original.

Keep plugging away at the drawing and anatomy studies, and continue doing pixel art along the way!