AuthorTopic: Help With Character Base  (Read 1543 times)

Offline ichimo

• View Profile

Help With Character Base

on: October 11, 2018, 04:49:24 am
I haven't done much sprite work or art in general.  I'm looking for critique or suggestions to improve the base of the model before I add any details to just remove later.  The model doesn't have arms because I'm using this for a game and need to do separate stuff to them.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: Help With Character Base

Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 12:16:34 pm
I think the feetless legs look weird. Even if it might make sense if you think about it, I think it would look better with feet so that it's not distracting.

The heads look wider than they are tall and flat from the side, like ET's head rather than a human head.

The torso looks like a flat ribbon. Give the character a butt and a chest! Those parts of the torso are thicker than the waist. In addition, the neck would look better pushed back a pixel, as it lines up with the spine (or rather, it includes the spine!).
Adding thighs might also help you define the legs in a more natural way, giving you room to hint at knees and the natural bend of the leg.

Here are some base sprites I made in a similar style a few years back, along with their silhouettes, perhaps they might be of use:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 12:18:35 pm by eishiya »

Offline ichimo

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 07:16:31 pm
I think the feetless legs look weird. Even if it might make sense if you think about it, I think it would look better with feet so that it's not distracting.

The heads look wider than they are tall and flat from the side, like ET's head rather than a human head.

The torso looks like a flat ribbon. Give the character a butt and a chest! Those parts of the torso are thicker than the waist. In addition, the neck would look better pushed back a pixel, as it lines up with the spine (or rather, it includes the spine!).
Adding thighs might also help you define the legs in a more natural way, giving you room to hint at knees and the natural bend of the leg.

Here are some base sprites I made in a similar style a few years back, along with their silhouettes, perhaps they might be of use:

That looks really damn good...  I guess I'll add stuff to make it look less flat, I don't think I could use something too detailed cause I have a lot of animations I need to do as well.  Thanks for advice, I'll update when I figure out something.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 08:25:49 pm
Giving your characters a little volume can actually make them easier to animate, because it'll be easier to show motion clearly in fewer frames when the volumes and major shapes are well-defined. When everything is flat and stick-thin, it's a harder to keep the poses clear. Plus, if you're relying more on volumes and larger shapes, that means you can rely less on details.