AuthorTopic: [WIP] Caroline praying ("pixelation palette")  (Read 2228 times)

Offline Checkworth

• View Profile

[WIP] Caroline praying ("pixelation palette")

on: December 10, 2006, 05:57:09 am
I posted this in the Palette Challenge 2 thread, I hope it's OK if I post it here too, to get help.

Just another portrait  :-\ She is praying because she has a lot on her mind, but you cannot really tell because I tried and failed to draw clasped hands (I may try again).  :P
The hair is giving me the most trouble...curly hair is tough!
I've been having fun recently with swirly colors and stuff, as you can see on her face (though not as much as in my last picture)...but I'm not sure if I'm just making a mess of things, or actually getting somewhere?

Any suggestions for improvement? I need all the help I can get :)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 06:00:22 am by Checkworth »

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Re: [WIP] Caroline praying ("pixelation palette")

Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 06:13:44 am
i dont think the green on her face is doing much. rather just gives her a sickly tone.
alot of the shading seems to be around the edges of shapes which is making the forms look as if they are cut-out. Id suggest extending the shading into the forms more.
you can probably find some references of curley hair online to give you ideas on how to do that.. Id probably make sure to focus on the strands of hair and how they bend and curl.. try thinking of many ribbons.. could practice drawing a bunch of curley ribbons first..

as for hands, id suggest not to give up on them. hands are tough, but if you show us how you do with them, we can help you improve.