AuthorTopic: [WIP] I pixeled my DnD character..  (Read 4062 times)

Offline Ursie

• View Profile
    • Pixel Art by Ursie Hart

[WIP] I pixeled my DnD character..

on: October 08, 2018, 04:18:33 am
My DnD character is a cleric called Ell. She worships the Dark Six and has a giant warhammer that she swings around somehow. I intended for her to be a nice sweet girl but then she ran off with some cult and went through a gothic phase. I thought she might be good for a bit of animation practice like... some sort of bouncy standing thing to start things off.

Dunno which attire I prefer.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: [WIP] I pixeled my DnD character..

Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 08:01:42 am
second feels better honestly, for animation especially
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Curly

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 06:55:03 pm
Cute!
Yeah both are cool but the second is more readable and better for animation.
I would add some contrast to the axe/hammer? and between the legs and the hair maybe.

Offline Ursie

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 06:58:23 pm
Thanks, you're definitely right. With that in mind I changed her outfit a bit for more simplicity. I didn't want that chain mail leotard (if that is even a thing) completely on show. I'll try and add a bit more contrast next :)

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 07:35:15 pm
The "chain mail" reads more like a sequin or otherwise sparkly fabric to me, to be honest. Chain mail is not something you want anywhere near your skin, so chain mail outfits are usually bulkier to allow for adequate padding, so skin-tight clothing just doesn't read as chain mail to me.

I like the changes to the design from a visual standpoint :D I'm having trouble parsing them as actual items though. What is the light thing? What is the dark line running down it? What's the red thing on her back, and how is it attached?

Offline Ursie

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 09:41:56 pm
The "chain mail" reads more like a sequin or otherwise sparkly fabric to me, to be honest. Chain mail is not something you want anywhere near your skin, so chain mail outfits are usually bulkier to allow for adequate padding, so skin-tight clothing just doesn't read as chain mail to me.

I like the changes to the design from a visual standpoint :D I'm having trouble parsing them as actual items though. What is the light thing? What is the dark line running down it? What's the red thing on her back, and how is it attached?

Yeah I'd agree, I was going for that kind of skin tight "chain mail" you get in Soul Calibur V customisations, which isn't at all accurate (as a bit of a joke). Light thing is meant to be a small cloth skirt with a belt, tied at the side. Dark line is actually her hair, I might give it a trim now that you mention it, does look weird. Uhh thing on the back is a small red cape which is meant to be attached at the front round the neck. Would be cool if you had suggestions to make them more readable, cheers :)

Offline eishiya

• View Profile
    • Website

Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 09:58:11 pm
I was going to make an edit, but your work isn't posted at 1x, making editing a hassle.

I see the hair now. I think it could read well if it were thicker, and perhaps not outlined (skipping outlines allows more space for the hair to read like a flat lock rather than a tube).

The skirt could read better if you shaded it according to the form it covers rather than pillow-shading around the edges.

For the cape, perhaps try making it cover more of the shoulders, so there's enough of it visible that it doesn't get lost in the details? I think that's the recurring problem with the cape and the hair, they're both so thin in places that they read like outlines or parts of gradients rather than as separate objects. The head-band looks good being a pixel thick because it contrasts well with the hair and no part of it blends in with anything, but objects of lower contrast need to be larger to read well.

Edit: Here's a quick edit with some suggestions for the cape, hair, skirt, and de-pillowing on the legs:

I also merged some of your redundant colours and got rid of a few highlights on the hair that I found distracting.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 10:17:52 pm by eishiya »

Offline Ursie

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 02:54:01 am
Ooof yeah that looks miles better already. I also prefer how you have shaded the legs :y: So much more shape.

Thanks for your help! Sorry I should have posted x 1 for editing. Gonna take all that on board and do another edit.
Super glad I posted here now.

Offline Ursie

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 10:26:50 pm
I trieedddd  :blind:

Offline eishiya

• View Profile
    • Website

Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 10:29:16 pm
The darker skirt works much better for the design!
It still looks a bit pillow-shaded though. Outlines usually don't need shadows around them; for shading you should mainly be thinking about the overall 3D form of the object, not the 2D lines that delineate it.

Consider making the back of the cape darker - with the light source being in the upper right, it's not likely that much light would hit the cape.