AuthorTopic: Uber necro kvlt black metal  (Read 3553 times)

Offline Homeless

• View Profile

Uber necro kvlt black metal

on: September 19, 2005, 03:59:42 am
Hey everybody. I stopped doing much pixel art after Pixelation went down, then I discovered this place. I'm glad there's a forum where people from Pixelation hang out.(This pretty much is Pixelation for now) Here are the last few pieces I've done.

I would like comments and criticisms.(Please don't hurt me)

Offline LuciferianSoul

• View Profile

Re: Uber necro kvlt black metal

Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 02:26:06 pm
I love black metal.

Anyway -- on-topic, I think they could all be potentially good pieces.
For the first one, I can't give much advice about the shadows, but I think some darker outlined and use of anti-alias would really make this alot better. Especially the face, because it's quote blocky. And you need some form of shading on the face too.
The dithering you've used is firstly too subtle, and not enough contrast between the shades.
Also, the light source and shading looks a bit odd, perhaps find a pixel tutorial somewhere about shading and light sources, that would be very helpful for you.
On the second piece, the lines seem a little harsh and thick? Perhaps smoothen them out with anti aliasing that isn't too dark, and there could be some better shading to help make the facial features stand out more.
On the third piece, this is not too bad, however the eyes and mouth are not dark enough to stand out much. And for a small/skinny piece such as this, colouring, outlines and anti-alias are all important but also sometimes hard to utilise. I can't give much help on that, I'm not too familiar with pieces like that.

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Re: Uber necro kvlt black metal

Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 12:03:54 pm
Black metal.. must be related to Helm, hehe...

I like the detailing on the first one, though the piece seems altogether too dark. Although you're going for what appears to be a facepaint look, it seems just a bit too bright because it's the ONLY thing that stands out.

I think your second work should ditch the black outlines. And try detailing the background just a bit more... As it stands, the head seems very tablet like due to shading dark on one side and having subtle highlights on the other side. I'd try lightening up the creases of the forehead, and try to center your lighting right about there.

Third one is fairly stylish. Would be fun if it was animated.