AuthorTopic: Always moving forward...  (Read 9779 times)

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Always moving forward...

on: December 09, 2006, 11:23:40 pm
Alright, so 2d game development is just sort of a hobby of mine.  I haven't released much though, because i am a perfectionist (of sorts) and i feel a lot of my creations are amatuer...

Anyway, i'm a fairly adept GameMaker programmer, (at least, i have gotten away from using the drag&drop feature. :P) and i want suggestions as to what to move onto.  GameMaker is great, but it lacks a lot of... well, power.  I want a language or tool that i can create games with in with more a professional atmosphere, but won't be hard to pick up (within a reasonable amount of time, that is, but i am a quick learner).

Alright guys/gals... suggestions?
-Stwelin.

Offline Soup

• Monkey lovvvvvvve
    • View Profile

Re: Always moving forward...

Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 12:56:17 am
The Game Factory products are pretty good. But you must pay for them.

Offline halu

• wtf :D
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 01:06:04 am
TGF is near crap.
If you really wanted to get into making them, I suggest trying C++, it may take a long time, but it'll be worth it once you've started to make games with it.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 01:20:17 am
java - J2me version to be specific.  mobile phone game dev is where its at right now.

Offline erikl

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 01:23:06 am
You should look at blitzmax (or any blitz* product). http://www.blitzmax.com.
With blitz* you have to write your game using standard functions and maybe other peoples libraries, so no d&d.

edit: Also, blitzmax have a demo version that works for 30 days and lack som functions. But still worth to try it!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 01:24:55 am by erikl »

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 01:42:08 am
i second ferons comment.

Offline pixelblink

• View Profile
    • pixeljoint

Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 02:27:27 am
on a whim, I googled mobile game dev and found this interesting article (though a couple of years old, still relevant)
http://www.gignews.com/careerfeatures/skills04part1.htm

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 02:38:22 am
to be honest, i don't think i could ever get into mobile phone game dev.  I have always disliked the fact that companies are turning mobile phones into mp3 players, gameboys, tazers, etc...

I'd rather leave my phone for... well, talking to people.  This is the reason i have a really old Nokia.  doesn't even have a backlit screen.

My personal preference would be to develop games for something that games area meant for (originally). Such as the GBA, DS, or even just the computer.  In fact, i'm not even sure i'd want to develop anything for a handheld system at all.  I like non-arcade, memory-utilizing, full-fledged, high-colourdepth, submersive games, and i don't feel that's even remotely possible on such a limited device. (also, i dislike java.)

I am leaning towards C++ at this point, as i have been meaning to learn it anyway.  I was mostly wondering if there was something i might have overlooked that would be more suited to my tastes/purpose.

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 03:43:44 am
If you want to make games LATER (meaning 2+ years down the track) then go ahead and learn c/c++
If you want to make games NOW then learn blitzmax, or pygame+python, multimedia fusion etc.

Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 08:44:24 pm
You know, MMF never seems to die out. People were using it 6 years ago to make cool shit, people are still using it now. Might check that out.. I remember learning the basics awhile back, and it seemed simple enough.
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne