AuthorTopic: Need Critique  (Read 5524 times)

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Need Critique

Reply #10 on: October 20, 2018, 10:29:56 am
I was trying to help you out. I know you want to drop out of the game, that feeling happens to most beginners, but it's hard to know what you're missing out on.

Any skill takes a lot of work to make it worth it. The better art communities (other skills too) hanging out there tell it like it is, this critique sounds rough but you have to understand it's all earnest, or at least for my part it was.

I am no master myself but far along enough to tell you if you stick with it, it pays off. Pretty sure a lot of those other artists and everyone dishing out the good critique know this too.

I'm not tearing you down, just your art, and it gets stronger as a result. By all means keep at it :y:

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #11 on: October 21, 2018, 12:08:00 am
Starting to like art less and less at this point...  ::)

Don't worry, that feeling passes in waves now and again.

If you're really not getting much out of creation that's ok, but it's always nice to have an outlet.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline ichimo

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: October 21, 2018, 04:30:51 am
I was trying to help you out. I know you want to drop out of the game, that feeling happens to most beginners, but it's hard to know what you're missing out on.

Any skill takes a lot of work to make it worth it. The better art communities (other skills too) hanging out there tell it like it is, this critique sounds rough but you have to understand it's all earnest, or at least for my part it was.

I am no master myself but far along enough to tell you if you stick with it, it pays off. Pretty sure a lot of those other artists and everyone dishing out the good critique know this too.

I'm not tearing you down, just your art, and it gets stronger as a result. By all means keep at it :y:

I tried again for the mage and this is what I came up with.  (My friend wanted him to have holes in his cloak)

Offline ichimo

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: October 21, 2018, 11:09:42 pm
I changed all the sprites to simpler color palettes and different poses cause I don't think I have the poses thing down or what not.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #14 on: October 22, 2018, 06:06:51 am
yeah these definitely have more life to 'em. There's always more you can do, but you seem to have picked up on line of action for most of these.

Do some reading on that though, the line of action is really excellent for quickly coming up with good pose ideas.

Alternatively, read some jojo's bizarre adventure and absorb the dumb shit araki is doing constantly to keep himself occupied lmao

Offline Zanorin

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/177874.htm
    • BasmatiPixel
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: October 22, 2018, 08:55:53 am
The knight's posture is really good. The blue rogue guy's looks weird though, it feels like he's tripping/falling over!
Half a noob figuring out stuff.

Offline ichimo

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: October 23, 2018, 04:38:12 am
The knight's posture is really good. The blue rogue guy's looks weird though, it feels like he's tripping/falling over!
Yeah I see where you're coming from for him, I can't figure out how to make it look like he's ready to sprint away and a moments notice or what not...

Offline Kiana

• Artist & Game Dev
    • kianamosser
    • View Profile
    • itch.io page

Reply #17 on: October 24, 2018, 08:41:11 pm
I can't figure out how to make it look like he's ready to sprint away and a moments notice or what not...

The difference is pretty subtle - you have the right idea with having him lean forward. The only problem is that he’s not balanced even though he’s standing still, so he would fall over (if he were in motion, it would be fine for him not to be balanced). The way you can tell if a character is balanced is to find the center of gravity, which is basically the “average” of how all the weight is distributed. If the center of gravity is over the base (feet or whatever is touching the ground), the character is balanced. (Think balancing a pen on your finger - usually one side has more weight than the other, and it balances when your finger is underneath the center of gravity).

So you can fix the character’s balance by moving his left foot forward so that his base is over his center of gravity, or you can fix it by not having him lean forward as much so that his center of gravity shifts over where his feet are. (There are other ways you could fix it too, but these are the simplest I can think of.) Does that make sense?
To achieve mastery is not to be able to work without thinking; rather it is to have total control of one's choices.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #18 on: October 24, 2018, 10:35:57 pm
Another solution could be to simply have him using one or both hands to stabilize themselves. Like a runner's takeoff pose!