AuthorTopic: Death of Pixel  (Read 3378 times)

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Death of Pixel

on: December 08, 2006, 05:57:28 pm
A piece done for a signature on a different forum... don't be jealous, its not like you guys like me anyway :-*

I'm thinking the main problem is with those areas of the skull that are mainly 1 colour but not too sure how to fix that.
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Re: Death of Pixel

Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 06:14:53 pm
don't be jealous, its not like you guys like me anyway :-*
I have absolutely no problem with your presence.

As for the 1 color space, I  think you could change the bottom three "large pixels" to a darker shade.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 03:51:37 pm
I have absolutely no problem with your presence.

Yes, I don't know what gave you the idea that anyone might have a problem with you being around.

I don't know how to help in this case. Mixed resolutions are almost always eyesore and I haven't seen anyone pull it off for non-abstract design but an oollld pixelation user that had dubbed his technique 'the olympic method'. I wish I still had his pixel art to show for reference, but still, his stuff was more abstract than realistic so it probably wouldn't help in this case. Maybe aa and buffer around bigger 'chunks' with single-pixels. As it is you have a very abrupt shift from bigpixel to regular pixels and it's jarring. Well it would probably be jarring so matter what you did, seriously, mixing resolutions is a pain in my opinion. Sorry for big rambling post with little critique in it.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 04:27:32 pm
haha Guys, guys, I think he was kidding about the "us not liking him" thing. You know, he's being like "Hey, I go visit other forums, but don't worry... I still love you".

Anyway... I agree with Helm, in that I also think mixed resolution pieces rarely come out well. I did a small edit, which I think picks up on what Helm was trying to say about easing the transition:

Another thing that may be causing problems is the fact that your larger "pixels" aren't gridded in anyway I can figure out. On the back of the skull, for example, there are places where you are using 3-4x size pixels, yet have single pixel spaces between them at certain points. For me, this kind of breaks the "large pixel" thing, and gives off more of a "blob of colour" impression. I dunno..

Anyway, despite my distaste for mixed resolution, this does look pretty cool. Also, if you can manage to pull it off you'll be my hero, whatever that's worth, so... keep it up! ;D

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 04:57:46 pm
I think Helm is talking about this stuff.

His username was onionhead and he only posted like 1 thread as far as I can recall.

http://www.superbrothers.ca/
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 05:50:47 pm
Thanks for the responses everyone, I was just trying something a little different with the mixed resolution. I respect anyone who doesn't like the technique and can see where you are comming from as I'm not too much of a fan of how it's come out so far. I don't think I will be using this style with any new pieces anytime soon.

@ Tremulant thnx for clearing up that about the transition, I think I may continue with the piece a bit but only till I get the transition looking a bit better. As well as clear up those other issues you fixed in the edit.
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.