AuthorTopic: 8-Bit Doctor Octopus From Spider-Man 2  (Read 1977 times)

Offline thesydneylad

• View Profile

8-Bit Doctor Octopus From Spider-Man 2

on: September 22, 2018, 09:28:45 am
It's been about two weeks since I made a piece of pixel art.

Anyway, overall, I could only really attempt to copy the hairstyle of the movie portrayal instead of giving the character the comic book bowl hairstyle, but I think it's difficult to get that across in 8-bit, so I feel it's worth saying that.

The movie version wears a more sleek leather coat, but I thought that the dark colors would look horrible on the sprite, so I changed the color to a light brown, which made me to make the decision to draw a duster jacket, like the DC character Constantine. It's unfortunate because I really wanted to stick to the design 100% cuz I've often been making slight alterations to suit my own desires, which always end up biting me.

So, the pose is meant to be a dynamic attacking pose. Doc is leaning backwards just a little and pointing at the enemy, sending his metal arm to attack. His other arm is just kinda...there. I had a hard time thinking of an interesting pose for the right arm, and I was sick of the 'slightly bent, preparing for a follow-up punch' position. It's meant to be obscured by the jacket and behind him, which is why it's a little shorter in width and length. He's using the bottom metal arms to suspend himself in the air, so the arms are supposed to be supporting him by 'standing' on the ground. I'll post an image to show an example.

I've been casually observing cartoon characters and their use of color, which is why I opted for grey shoes - the least used color in the character. I chose to not give Ock's head a black outline. That was always the plan from the start. I couldn't find a way to implement the movie-type arms in a good way, so I'm assuming that this is the way they're supposed to look in 8-bit. I didn't have the room to implement the black gaps between the metal arms, even though I really wanted to.

Sprite:

Reference:

Constantine Jacket:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjddgbM40V7O-oDfetndbnWJkRMD54ADWZJvzAKLzs8wEs__zd

Doc Ock in the air:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYtulW60_UHkvfyBHKIp2uWC4MdZTyy7yMxiLh_f1wuYf3lzqJ7A
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 09:30:19 am by thesydneylad »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: 8-Bit Doctor Octopus From Spider-Man 2

Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 11:24:49 pm
man I keep tellin' you, you gotta go study the real stuff before you can start doing pixelart. your fundamentals are lacking and as much thought as you put in you'll be grinding those gears until you do

Go watch some proko on youtube, get a better feel for the human body. Do some cluster exercises, draw polygons and try to give them depth and shading.

As it stands right now:
-his shoulder is a foot long on one side and non-existent on the other
-his robo-arms look really mangled, and you can't read the tips as claws at all
-his leg looks like it's been broken in several places, ankles don't bend that way
-the coat's shape is almost impossible to read
-everything but his head has an outline and he has no face, meaning he's missing his iconic goggles

and you're going to keep running into a lot of these problems until you grind up that understanding of anatomy and pixel art specific fundamentals like clutter reduction and clusters.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline thesydneylad

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 12:07:43 am
I'll go and do as you said before I make the next pixel art attempt. Thanks.

I'm going on a road trip next week, so I'll stock up on these tutorial videos to watch on my phone and I'll practice by drawing on paper when I get the chance.

Offline tecnologgamer

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 09:04:52 pm
You could watch Proko Anatomy course on his channel, help me a lot understand such things which I never thought I needeed.