AuthorTopic: Sprite Advice  (Read 1377 times)

Offline Bradok Unbound

• View Profile

Sprite Advice

on: September 19, 2018, 06:31:45 am
Trying to start doing a new style of sprite. Transitioning from doing mainly MV edits to something a touch more original. I'm mainly concerned with shading, but any other advice would be more than welcome. Especially concerning hair.

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Sprite Advice

Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 04:18:29 am
This is looking great so far! Your colour choices are actually really good ;D

The main issue is the shading, as it is you tend to shade all around the edges of each form. It would be better if the light was coming from a clear direction and the shadows help to convey that. The shoes are shaded in a fairly good manner.

In a lot of cases, especially on the scarf and the pants I think your drop shadows are too much. I've made an edit just on the shading to help you in that direction. Consider how you can use shading to show off the type of material you're drawing, how shiny is it? What is its texture? Is the surface flat or does it curve and ripple?

Anatomically I didn't change anything but going forward you may also consider a couple of things: The scarf doesn't really wrap around him in a way that makes him seem round, same goes for the waistband of the pants. His arms are a bit too short. And his head is very wide and round, the head is a little bit taller than it is wide generally speaking.

Best of luck!