AuthorTopic: Mama where is papa ?  (Read 1641 times)

Offline Railslave

• @Rail_slave
    • View Profile
    • Gallery

Mama where is papa ?

on: September 23, 2018, 07:59:45 am
Hi, I've been doing this for a few hours now, it's fast becoming my "coming of age pixel piece" and as such I want to get this one right, however as you can see, a bit lost as to what to do with the hair (which is definitely a stumbling block for me)

(Also, aware that the style dither is a bit excessive, prob wont be rolling that back though, went a bit too far but whats a coming of pixel age piece without the dither :P)

« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 08:26:58 am by Railslave »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: Mama where is papa ?

Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 09:13:32 am
hmmm, I actually kinda like the dither here. Gives it kind of a noisy pastel look that adds to the ethereal storybook feeling of the piece.

Good work my man, I think the only area that doesn't look so great is the highlights in the hair.

(edit: whops, reading comprehension.)

AIGHT SO, on the topic of hair:
-treat it in terms of clumps, and try to imply overall texture rather than trying to overdetail it. It's a bit finnicky to get together at first, but it helps to sketch out the hairlines so you understand the curves and where the light would catch more. For example, here, it seems light is coming from the left. So, clumps on the left should have the highlights and the bits on the right should be solid color with minimal texture.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 09:15:19 am by MysteryMeat »
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Railslave

• @Rail_slave
    • View Profile
    • Gallery

Re: Mama where is papa ?

Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 11:50:03 am
hmmm, I actually kinda like the dither here. Gives it kind of a noisy pastel look that adds to the ethereal storybook feeling of the piece.

Good work my man, I think the only area that doesn't look so great is the highlights in the hair.

(edit: whops, reading comprehension.)

AIGHT SO, on the topic of hair:
-treat it in terms of clumps, and try to imply overall texture rather than trying to overdetail it. It's a bit finnicky to get together at first, but it helps to sketch out the hairlines so you understand the curves and where the light would catch more. For example, here, it seems light is coming from the left. So, clumps on the left should have the highlights and the bits on the right should be solid color with minimal texture.

Thanks, I shall revise @sketching hairlines , need a bit of a break from it first, get some clarity  :P