AuthorTopic: Help me fix my fence  (Read 2734 times)

Offline phoen1x

• View Profile

Help me fix my fence

on: September 15, 2018, 02:09:09 pm
Hello from Ukraine!
This is my second post, I need your help in the cottage. Previous: https://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=26593.0
I'm using an interpreter, sorry for the crookedness.
I do not know how to create color palettes, so I use strangers (2 palettes)
Please help me balance the colors if necessary.
It seems to me that my character is too big compared to other tiles (64x64), and my tiles (32x32), is this normal?
And most importantly: help me with my fence, it's some kind of wrong

Offline Rainswell

• View Profile

Re: Help me fix my fence

Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 07:53:18 pm
I actually think the size of your character compared to the environment is almost perfect maybe ~5 pixels smaller vertically is all I'd recommend. The shading on the fence is also good, the issue with it that I see is that the horizontal posts and the vertical posts seem too separate. The fence itself also doesn't seem to connect to the ground. I'd recommend darkening some of the grass around the base to show a shadow cast by the fenceposts, and adding a bit of a "hole" on one side where the horizontal fence posts attach to the vertical ones.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 09:45:01 pm
The relationship between the size of your tiles and the size of your character doesn't really matter, as long as the collision works the way you'd like.
What matters is the scale of the features represented by your tiles compared to the scale of the character, and that looks fine.

The only thing that makes the character look a bit out of place is the style difference. The character's outline-heavy while the environment is not, the character has dull colours while the environment is cartoony and bright, the character looks to be made of blocks and straight lines, while the environment looks more detailed and organic.

I agree with Rainswell that the horizontal posts don't look attached to the vertical ones. Don't forget to look at some real fences (or at least photos of them!) to see how they're put together, don't just guess if you don't know.

Offline phoen1x

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 02:39:40 pm
ok, thank you!

—(merged post)—

Hi, what do you think about these 2 new releases? which is better?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 07:37:39 pm by Kiana »

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 03:23:05 pm
Please don't repeat content like that, you can just post your new stuff in the thread without making it a reply to someone specific. Forums aren't like Twitter, so even if you don't reply to someone, they can still see your post. Repeating content just makes the thread harder to understand. You can also quote multiple people in a post if you want (you can just copy the all quotes into a single post).

Have you been looking at any references? Version 2 looks more 3D (however, in version 1 we can see the tops of the posts, which is good! we should be able to see those on all posts), but still has the same construction problems as the original version, that fence doesn't look like it's made of planks/posts, it looks like a symbol of a fence rather than like a (stylised) fence. The texture also doesn't look wooden, it looks like it's painted with polka dots xP For now, don't worry about texture, just make it a flat colour and focus on making it look like a believable fence.

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 09:42:12 pm
I don't think any of the versions have proper tops for the fences poles, both are very front view, one is shaded and the other is not. Take all of eishiya's advice and try a little squashed ellipse for the tops assuming they are roughly cylindrical, and try to use the lighter colors on the top and the mid tone ones on the length of the shafts.

Offline eriophora

• pixel herder
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 10:46:12 pm
Try focusing more on the wood grain. In the posts, the grain is going to be vertical. I based this edit on the idea that the posts were small logs. On the bars of the fence, the grain will be more horizontal. Wood has a pattern to it, not just a texture - follow the lines of the grain.

Also consider your light source. The fence is going to have more light on the top bars and less near the bottom. The heavy top outline makes it feel off.

Offline phoen1x

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 04:03:00 pm
Try focusing more on the wood grain. In the posts, the grain is going to be vertical. I based this edit on the idea that the posts were small logs. On the bars of the fence, the grain will be more horizontal. Wood has a pattern to it, not just a texture - follow the lines of the grain.

Also consider your light source. The fence is going to have more light on the top bars and less near the bottom. The heavy top outline makes it feel off.

Thank you very much! :)