AuthorTopic: I made some sprites for this game I wanna make, need feedback  (Read 1725 times)

Offline falz

• View Profile
Hi everyone! I decided I wanted to make a strategy game with tiles like Final Fantasy Tactics, so I drew out the concept and found some of their sprites for reference and set to work. I haven't done much sprite work so I don't really know about finer technique or anything. Sorry if this stuff is a bit of a mess. I am also sort of unsure if this stuff is a little too close to my reference material? It's all ade from scratch, but maybe I should take further steps to differentiate them. Thanks for the feedback! I will continue posting here with the new content I'm making.

This is the sprite sheet I have been looking at for reference (only the three sprites at top left).
https://www.spriters-resource.com/game_boy_advance/fftacticsadv/sheet/64316/

Main character option 1 (man in dapper attire)

Main character option 2 (mermaid with legs)

Some enemies (little dog and bear with hoods)

Idea for an enemy, goblin guy wearing ceramic head who fights with one hand
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 08:33:54 am by falz »

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Re: I made some sprites for this game I wanna make, need feedback

Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 11:10:40 pm
These are looking really good! I wouldn't be too concerned about them looking too similar to your references, I didn't peg them as tactics advanced.

I think the biggest issue you're having is with your colours. I think you should try using fewer shades per colour. For a sprite this size it's creating a lot of muddiness. Consider using fewer shades with higher contrast.

The outlines on the boots in the first sprite being lighter doesn't look very good. And generally I think your outlines could be a bit darker.

Try to avoid having big staircases of differently coloured pixels like you see on the mermaids tail (called banding if you would like to learn more), instead try to use bigger clusters of pixels to describe the shape.

Be very careful with small details like the green in her hair and the spots on her scales. Having single pixels or very small patches of distinctly different colours can look like noise. Try making them a bit bigger, exaggerating details like that is often necessary in pixel art.

I love the idea for the goblin enemy ;D Keep it up this is all looking really good, a little more polish and these are solid assets :y:

Offline falz

• View Profile

Re: I made some sprites for this game I wanna make, need feedback

Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 12:25:47 am
Thank you so much for the feedback!! Not only does that sound like it might look better, it sounds easier too. Using all these different colors is rough. I'll try to take it into consideration. Also, yeah, the green and yellow are very minute, but I was thinking it came off well. I'll try out some more ideas, thanks!

Here is a further development on the goblin. He is holding the mask with his other hand now. I wonder if this is communicating what I want it to. Or maybe I'm trying to do too much