AuthorTopic: isometric room project + color palette, help!  (Read 3521 times)

Offline kauheaa

• View Profile

isometric room project + color palette, help!

on: September 11, 2018, 02:16:24 pm
I'm SO rusty in isometric pixeling and trying to give it a try after a while.
Also I'm struggling with the color study.

Any tutorials or tips for this stuff?
Currently searching pixeljoint forum but can't find anything helpful.

Will be posting progress here for comments and critique! Here's what I've done so far.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 02:10:22 pm by kauheaa »

Offline Lilja

• mouseflavored
    • View Profile

Re: isometric room project + color pallette

Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 04:50:44 pm
https://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=23281.0

If you scroll down there are a bunch of tutorials under 'Pixel tutorials' and then some more about general art stuff beneath that.

It also isn't a bad idea to read through the featured posts.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 04:52:56 pm by Lilja »

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 12:15:02 am
Hey Kauheaa, You didn't post an image :(  if you need an image host, please upload to imgur

Offline Retronator

• Matej 'Retro' Jan
    • retronator
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/24236.htm
    • retronator
    • retronator
    • retronator
    • View Profile
    • Retronator

Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 08:58:36 am
My (draft) article about Lineart includes a section on isometric. Scroll down to 2.4.4 Construction for a general overview of this approach to drawing and then 2.4.5 Isometric projection is what you're mostly looking for. Lots of great content linked to from that section.

Offline kauheaa

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 09:37:52 am
Hey Kauheaa, You didn't post an image :(  if you need an image host, please upload to imgur

I actually got so frustrated I didn't come up with anything to show at that point....
Later on tried to progress a little, here's what I have this far:

I'm not happy with it at all and it seems I really need practise on the color pallette stuff (I've gotten used to this neon pastel stuff that really doesn't have anything to do with real light and shadow and color study....)

/ i realized i've been playing with layers way too much and didn't really sketch at all...should've probably just drawn the line of the whole thing with one color at first but instead i went on and started finishin up pieces of the room before there even was a whole room  :( practice practice practice.....
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 09:59:42 am by kauheaa »

Offline kauheaa

• View Profile

Offline kauheaa

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 02:09:36 pm
Studied the basics a bit. Dumped the first one and here's where i'm now.

I'm confused about the lighting and shadowing of the edges of basically everything??

Offline Retronator

• Matej 'Retro' Jan
    • retronator
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/24236.htm
    • retronator
    • retronator
    • retronator
    • View Profile
    • Retronator

Re: isometric room project + color palette, help!

Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 10:22:33 pm
One thing I want to mention are the creases in the middle of the bed. Since they are folds of the sheets, there should be highlights on the side towards the window. Every fold (or bump) like that will have one side lighter, the other dark (very subtle shades though). Now that the color is only dark, that more implies a crease (a hole), like cracked wood.

And to be consistent with the source of light (assuming the window), the bottom and right edge of the sheet on the bed shouldn't have highlights, but the top and left should. Although that's not a hard rule because it's also down to art style. You can do equally dark outlines, or equally dark outer outlines (but not inner), properly shaded outlines (but darker than local color), no outlines etc. So defining your light source and art style should clear some of the confusion when deciding on outline colors.

Offline kauheaa

• View Profile

Re: isometric room project + color palette, help!

Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 11:15:25 am
One thing I want to mention are the creases in the middle of the bed. Since they are folds of the sheets, there should be highlights on the side towards the window. Every fold (or bump) like that will have one side lighter, the other dark (very subtle shades though). Now that the color is only dark, that more implies a crease (a hole), like cracked wood.

And to be consistent with the source of light (assuming the window), the bottom and right edge of the sheet on the bed shouldn't have highlights, but the top and left should. Although that's not a hard rule because it's also down to art style. You can do equally dark outlines, or equally dark outer outlines (but not inner), properly shaded outlines (but darker than local color), no outlines etc. So defining your light source and art style should clear some of the confusion when deciding on outline colors.

Thank you, this helps a lot!!

I was going for equally dark outlines at first and that's probably what made me so confused. Trying to shade the edges of the window using dark outlines just didn't work at all and now it's all weird.... Dark outer outlines is actually probably what i wanted to do but didn't really know what i was doing at all, will try that now.