AuthorTopic: Hunter x Hunter Gon Freecs[WIP]  (Read 2596 times)

Offline Afelium

• View Profile

Hunter x Hunter Gon Freecs[WIP]

on: September 19, 2018, 09:03:06 pm
It's been a while since my last pixel art,but I found some initiative and started a new one.
The character is Gon Freecs from hunter x hunter
I'm undecided if I should stick to the anime's style of lighting [Giga Gon WARNING]
(here's an example)
or try a more realistic approach
Plus I don't know how to shade the center of the jacket and the shorts.
Light source should be from the front

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Re: Hunter x Hunter Gon Freecs[WIP]

Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 10:11:12 pm
I think they are enough shaded, considering the lightweight style, I would drop that dither.

The sleeves are nice without outlines, I would agressively remove face outlines, mostly at the hair line, except where you need to use it as shading, where they could be more than 1px thick (filled diagonals), more like the place where they separate the cheeks from the ears.

Right hand (left side) is a little confusing?

Drawing as whole looks nice to me though :y:

Offline Afelium

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 01:17:07 pm

I changed it a little(maybe too little)
added legs,bag and fishing rod
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 01:46:38 pm by Afelium »

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 02:15:09 pm
The face looks a lot better!

I think it's a bit off that there are outlines on the shorts and shoes, but not the shirt. The outline-less parts look better, in my opinion. If they outlines are meant to represent shadows, you should do more with them, it's extremely rare for a shadow to be a uniformly thick line along the edge. Give them thickness and shape, and don't be afraid to have some outline-less bits even in the shadow.

The thin-line shadows on the knees make him look like he's got skin or fat flaps. On skinny people, the knees are knobby bits that slightly stick out, and cast very minor shadows. You could either skip those shadows entirely, or have them be cast all the way down to the boots.

Try to avoid 1px shadows along the edges of objects, such on the skin just above the boots (what's causing those shadows?), in the boot lace bits, in the shorts, etc. They don't read as shadows, are prone to cause banding, and generally just make your art look blurry. Either commit to thick, readable shadows, or don't include them.