AuthorTopic: [WIP] moonlit snow-covered forest, 5 colors. composition?  (Read 2354 times)

Offline Gizmonicgamer

• View Profile

[WIP] moonlit snow-covered forest, 5 colors. composition?

on: September 04, 2018, 04:13:31 pm
update:

finalized version, i think. 5 colors, 256x144.
c+c?

previous:

c+c?

specifically, i'm having some second thoughts about the composition here, particularly around the narrow section from the moon downward. any other critiques or comments welcome as well.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 05:03:35 pm by Gizmonicgamer »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: [WIP] moonlit snow-covered forest, 5 colors. composition?

Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 07:02:29 pm
I love the mood so far. Usually I'd advocate for less noisy detail but in this case I don't want to take away from this mood, it's kind of like, grainy, low-light vision. At first I thought that was an rough stand-in for some lightning falling from the sky but now I realize that's another tree's bright bits.

Here's my construction recommendations: give the sky more space, if you can change your canvas size, that is. Let the sky and its flatness give some contrast to the intensely grainy trees and foliage. Perhaps some subtle clouds, but challenge yourself! Don't necessarily go for cartoony fluffy clouds, go on google image search and look at some hazy moonlit clouds and see if you can convey them with your skills in the pixel medium.

I can't talk about this as a composition more than that until you've largely got everything in place and evenly rendered, sadly. This is because you started at the left corner and rendered fully, you didn't go general to specific for the whole piece from the ground up. So, I'll wait for you to do the other half and then we can talk about composition a bit more. But I love it so far, well done!

Offline Gizmonicgamer

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 05:02:41 pm

"Finished", I think! 5 colors, 256x144.

Helm: Hey! Sorry I never responded in a timely fashion, I tend to let critique and commentary stew for a while while I tease out my direction moving forward. I took your advice on the sky to heart and made some adjustments: i can't change the canvas size, though, so for now I think that's the most I can do. I forgot about your cloud suggestion... not sure there's room for it now, but i'll experiment with it (or relegate it to subsequent rooms in the area).

This is because you started at the left corner and rendered fully, you didn't go general to specific for the whole piece from the ground up
idk if its the best habit in the world, but it's just how i've always done it; it's hard for me to progress on something unless i can feel certain about it in at least some respect, which means fully rendering individual pieces like so.

thank you very much!

Offline Nafis

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 10:37:35 pm
Wooah looks good. Makes me think of some mysterious indie point and click game.