AuthorTopic: Some tiles...  (Read 2762 times)

Offline Kren

• View Profile

Some tiles...

on: December 07, 2006, 02:14:09 am
For a game I'm helping sprite for.

The tiles are made by me, the same as that soldier, Link was made by Halu and recoloured by me..
I want to see what do you think about the tiles, I personally dislike the dirt tile and the cliff transition, but I don't know how to improve it :/
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 02:24:31 am by Kren »

Offline Adrian

• View Profile

Re: Some tiles...

Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 05:08:37 am
Uhmm... are you under a color restriction? Because if not the colors are really blah. From what I see on the sprite, it doesn't look like there is any restriction.

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 05:57:22 am
Yeah - you've got 10 or 11 colors on Link, compared to 2 or 3 on your tiles.  If you don't have color restrictions, use that to your advantage - stuff like that could breathe some life into the ground tiles.

If you do have color restrictions, then there are a bunch of things you could do. Either shape your trees' shading better or try a small amount of dithering. Same goes for your cliffs, and your hedges. They seem sort of haphazard at the moment.

The weakest stuff in there right now is the dirt/sand. Instead of trying to smooth out the edges of your tiles, you're just spraying a 50% covering of tan in a green square. If you need do (I imagine you can), make another couple of sand "edge" tiles, redo your old ones, and really try to shape the outline of your dirt pit so it's not so blocky.

EDIT: Check out this thread to see the kind of things that are capable with palette restrictions - only three colors per tile, but the results are beautiful: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=2574.0
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 07:18:02 am by Akzidenz »
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 04:03:16 pm
I made a colour edit here, only colour edit. The lines were not altered. (That doesn't mean they can't use some....alot of altering)

Your's===>                              Mine
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 04:05:37 pm by Shadow Wolf »