AuthorTopic: The Girl vs The Ogre  (Read 2259 times)

Offline Mùller

• @Iv_Mii
    • ivenmiller
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/38271.htm
    • ivenmiller
    • wolvesonpray
    • arttxel
    • View Profile

The Girl vs The Ogre

on: September 03, 2018, 03:49:35 pm
Hello Pixel Mates!

I'm doing some characters for a mockup.

Any C+C are welcome!

thanks!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: The Girl vs The Ogre

Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 07:05:15 pm
Honestly, these are very good! Attractive, vibrant palette and solid detail. Perhaps that's why you haven't gotten much critique, because these are quite solid already. What I'd recommend is perhaps reconsidering that reverse-antialias outlines (or 'selout' ) you've got going, I was never a fan and I haven't become one in my old age, but mileage may vary. In the same front, internally you've got some implied linework, where you break up the line, generally there's a lot of antialias conventions that you know how to use but for my money are a bit... automatic, for pixel artists? They're worth reconsidering. Taking a few colors away, disambiguating a few tightly detailed spots in your work might actually help convey volume more, but that's honestly nitpicking. Well done!

Offline Lilja

• mouseflavored
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 08:28:08 pm
What Helm said is pretty much my thoughts exactly, although I'll add that the chest is confusing. The light seems to be coming from the upper left for everything else but with the chest it's almost like it's coming from the camera, lighting the top of the chest and the underside of the chest evenly even though it seems like with this chest the lid is fatter than the container, and would cast a shadow. I see that you've added small dark lines in the chest that go with the upper left lighting, but because it's only a few dark pixels and the highlight is unaffected by it, it's almost entirely unnoticeable, and even after noticing it it still doesn't read.

Other than that, if you want more indepth critique, I'd say that you'd have to post more art from the mockup since individually the girl and the ogre look great, so any further critique would have to be on how well they work with the other mockup elements, etc. Good work!

P.S. The ogre's feet make him feel just slightly like he's leaning towards isometric, would consider flattening them out.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 09:59:22 pm

Made some quick edits to improve the anatomy and balance. Awesome start! I love the colours and the designs really pop.

edit: not sure why the colours shifted so radically, go ahead and ignore that.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 01:22:03 am by Tuna Unleashed »