AuthorTopic: Orphanage at night...  (Read 6002 times)

Offline DrDerekDoctors

• View Profile

Orphanage at night...

on: September 18, 2005, 05:48:38 pm
Blimey, it's been aaaaaaages since I've pixelled anything as I'm mostly been programming. But I needed an orphanage for the end sequence of a game I'm finishing up so here it is:

Obviously it'll be in some surroundings in the actual thing. I know the front door is kinda' bright, but it's the focal point of the image as it explodes off of it's hinges at one point. Ah well, back to more pixelling...

PS. For best results stick it on a black background. ;)
--

DrDerekDoctors

Offline CrematedPumpkin

• Lord of the Fjord
    • View Profile

Re: Orphanage at night...

Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 07:01:53 pm
um, wow. That is really great. I just think that the door looks a little off in the picture because it is a little too bright in contrast to the walls.
I.....am......me............

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 07:14:23 pm
Hey Graham. :) Glad to see you back.

This is beautiful; I love it. I think the light inside the house could benefit without as much orange, though. Just a suggestion.
@darionmccoy

Offline DrDerekDoctors

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 07:17:55 pm
The lighting is a little too archetypical, yes, but that's really what I wanted, something that was overly warm inside. However I'll try playing with the colours. :) And it's good to be back, too, thanks. This place is really feeling like pixelation at the moment, but without too much of the "I drew this in 5 minutes and put no effort into it - please critique it at length" posts.

And yeah, I agree that the door is too bright but I kinda' wanted it as the focal point and I wanted the colours not to just feel like repears of the ones used in the roofing tiles. I'll try darkening it down, though.

Mind you, this house has like 10 seconds of screen-time before it's blown to smithereens.
--

DrDerekDoctors

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 11:11:53 pm
I like the way it’s drawn and the colors yet, it has a large amount of them, a whopping 53 colors man.  I think the door would be fine as the same color as the window to the right of it, because it would have more wood showing than the window it would be the focal point without looking odd.
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline Evan

• Marv-O
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 11:16:08 pm
Blimey, it's been aaaaaaages since I've pixelled anything as I'm mostly been programming. But I needed an orphanage for the end sequence of a game I'm finishing up so here it is:

Obviously it'll be in some surroundings in the actual thing. I know the front door is kinda' bright, but it's the focal point of the image as it explodes off of it's hinges at one point. Ah well, back to more pixelling...

PS. For best results stick it on a black background. ;)

Haha, what happened to the cool neon building?

Aah well, great jorb man. I know there are a lot of colors, but it's for your programming needs, and more power to ya. It looks great. In fact, it kind of looks like a gingerbread house.

Is it on fire, though?

I know that my crits aren't very useful, since they aren't really crits, but no matter what, you did a great job.

Be sure to post the game once it's done...

Offline DrDerekDoctors

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 06:15:54 pm
BiW: Yeah, I did kinda' piss through the colours, but it's not like it's for a platform where there's any limit on them so I don't care really. :)

S2E: It does look a bit on-fire, which is ironic as shortly is will be on fire. Ta'. :) And I don't doubt that I'll whore the game when it's done, although mostly it ain't pixel art in it as I have only done a few of the graphics.
--

DrDerekDoctors

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: September 19, 2005, 06:40:31 pm
as I've told you before, excellent work. You have alias issues with the bright diagonials on the roof. And what colour should this be against? Post it without transparency, but as it will be in the game. I suspect deep blue or pure black will work great for this.

Offline DrDerekDoctors

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 19, 2005, 07:25:49 pm
Yeah, the edges are a little sharp and I might alias them for the in-game version, but it's against (as you predicted) a deep blue/black night sky so the crispness might work in it's favour.
--

DrDerekDoctors

Offline Dan

• "Haha The Man"
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 22, 2005, 09:43:14 am
Wow my first post on the new forum! :D Well, anyway i like this house alot. I haven't really got any critique becuase i am a little off touch. I like it though. ;)
That's the way the cookie crumbles. - Do the bug bob.     - Woot!