AuthorTopic: Draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaveeeeeeeeen!  (Read 1636 times)

Offline Tensur

• View Profile

Draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaveeeeeeeeen!

on: August 29, 2018, 10:16:13 pm

Really happy how this turned out, but i dont know how to shade the hair.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Re: Draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaveeeeeeeeen!

Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 11:30:16 pm
Hey Tensur.  First off, gotta say I like this quite a bit.  The style is quite nice, and I absolutely love the palette.  There's a few things I'd change about the palette such as the gold colors, but the skin in particular is very nice.  I'm not familiar with league of legends much, so I had to google to get an idea of what you were going for. I've been using this image to form my critique: (https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/leagueoflegends/images/8/82/Draven_OriginalSkin.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/1000?cb=20170615211328)

I kinda went overboard with my paint-over as I was forming my thoughts, but there's a few things I think are worth pointing out that can improve the piece drastically

• Hair
    Hair can definitely be a difficult thing to render.  A good starting point is to break it apart into its major shapes, then shade those shapes individually, simplifying and combining details as you go.  With hair, it's useful to focus on shading where the highlights will be.  Sometimes that's all you'll need.  Another trick you might want to try which I've done here is to use a type of dithering to imply hair strands and directionality.
  • Shading
    you have a lovely palette, but you're not fully utilizing it to describe the forms well.  Really try to think about the angle of each surface on the face and how much light it will receive.  For example, the lower eyelid would be facing down and receives less light, so shade it darker.  The jawline would also receive less light.  The same with under the eyebrows.  Think about which elements would cast a shadow on other elements, such as the nose and beard casting shadow on the upper lip.  The same thinking applies to lit surfaces.  For example you currently highlighted the bottom edge of the nose, when in fact that would be receiving less light, not more.
  • Details
    the crown element should extend to wrap around the head entirely.  The eyebrow shape could use some more detail to match the crazed character concept.  Seems you're also missing some face-painted red stripe details on his face.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 11:32:26 pm by Indigo »