AuthorTopic: Help me fix my character  (Read 1666 times)

Offline phoen1x

• View Profile

Help me fix my character

on: August 29, 2018, 01:26:44 pm
Hi,guys! ;D
I'm from Ukraine, so I'm writing through Google Translator, sorry.
I only work in pixels for 2 weeks. Now I draw a character for my game, and I need your help. ::)
Please see these animations and tell me what's wrong with them, and what to fix.
The animation of death is very curved :lol:, it's very noticeable, help me fix it.
And help me paint the character, my version:
Here is an animation of sprites and gif:
Sprite:
Attack Animation:
Dead animation:
Walk animation:
idle animation:
Thank you for your attention and help.

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Re: Help me fix my character

Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 04:09:46 pm
I'll try to help.

First, the Death animation seems like the character is sort of "rolling" flat across the ground very gradually. It acts as if it is being smashed by a steamroller rather than actually "falling" down. The reason for this is because the head moves at a very constant spacing across the length of the animation rather than "easing-in" and stopping suddenly (which is probably more like what you're going for here).

Second, the Walk animation doesn't take into account the shifting of the shoulders or hips. The reason for this is because the distant (back) leg does not shift even a pixel backwards below his belly when the leg is moving back. The front (closer) leg hinges on the crotch (which should actually move as his hips turn toward the camera). The arms (particularly the shoulders) need to shift more across the middle of the body as it turns away from the camera, and the distant shoulder needs to go closer to the neck (which is why the breast looks weird on that side -- the shoulder is too far forward when it should be back more).

The Attack animation --  actually isn't bad.
Again, for the distant arm (shoulders) and the legs (the hip joints, in particular), remember to turn them a bit more to give a little more "3D" while also giving a better sense of movement. Even though we are doing 2D, we always have to give the illusion that our animations have "depth" too! The belly button moves, but why don't the hip-joints and upper-thighs move with it? The body is connected after all. You move one thing, and then most everything else requires movement too!

Hopefully that gives some direction on improving these! :)
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline phoen1x

• View Profile

Re: Help me fix my character

Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 08:20:51 am
oh, thank you!