AuthorTopic: female character base  (Read 3049 times)

Offline yyboyyy96

• View Profile

female character base

on: August 28, 2018, 12:03:47 pm
hi all,

I have made a female character and I need some feed back :D

for the first time ever I'm satisfied with the hips however the part that gives me a lot of trouble are the arms, breasts and feet.

- the right breast I have made intentianally higher because I didn't like the looks of it when they are both round.
- I dont like the looks of the arms at all! in fact I think its skinny. what do you guys think about the black area in between the left arm and body?
- honestly I dont know what to think about the feet... thay are bothering me for some reason.

any help would be nice!

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: female character base

Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 03:09:42 pm
The front arm looks very distant from the torso, as if it's attached to the tip of the shoulder rather than being attached to the armpit and the shoulder being the top of the arm. I think you should move it in a pixel. In general, the armpit line in front of the arm and the outline on the breast are one and the same., but you have two distinct lines.

The breasts are too high up. I don't think the perspective is strong enough to warrant one being a pixel higher than the other, but if it looks better, then it looks better. Try lowering them a pixel or two. In addition, the torso is so narrow that the far breast doesn't look attached. Widening the torso a pixel would give her a more human-like and less doll-like shape, as well as fix that black area between the arm and torso.

With the legs and feet, I think you first need to address the calves. On the back leg, it's unclear whether that's a calf or a heel, and that leg is thinner than the front leg. The legs could also use some knees. Then, you'll be able to see whether the feet make sense in context.
I think the main problem with them though is they're too far forward of the foot, the heel is usually below the calf, but here it's a good way forward. There's not much you can do about that at this scale though, short of making the feet stubbier or larger.

Here's an edit applying the above, along with a version that adds an extra colour for some shading and softening.

I also moved the navel down a pixel, and widened the "chin" so that the mouth wouldn't blend into the outline of the face.
I didn't really touch the feet aside from giving the far foot a heel. Hopefully you can see where the problem is better now, though!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 08:45:49 pm by eishiya »

Offline yyboyyy96

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 04:51:16 pm
Thanks for the edit it looks a lot better now!

I changed the arms and gave her a better looking hand. I also changed the color of the outlines of the breast tp brownish so it doesnt stick to the black of the arms and body.

I tried something different with the feet the one in the front I like. the one in the back however doesnt bother me but I think I can try something else.

further more I changed the eyes and and even though I'm not good at shading I tried to give it a little more shade and shine.

here is the result.

after this I'm going to try some hair and armor

Offline eishiya

• View Profile
    • Website

Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 06:24:25 pm
I think your changes are good! I think not defining the calf works very well for this style, and the slightly thicker arms look way better. The far arm looks a little jagged though, perhaps that's worth addressing?

The new eyes are definitely better, though the character seems to be looking up rather than forward. If that's intentional, then it's no problem.

The two highlight pixels on top of the head seem out of place. I don't think you need any highlights on the skin, it reads well without them.

The far foot being just a dark pixel reads more like a mistake than a foot to me, I'm afraid. Maybe have a skin-colour pixel there to give it some volume?

Offline yyboyyy96

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 07:59:18 pm
what do you mean with the arm looks jagged?

adressing the highlights on the head looking closely myself I have to agree that it looks out of place.

I've changed the foot maybe this is better?

I also tried making hair and a some sort of plate armor with a little leather attached to it?..

Offline eishiya

• View Profile
    • Website

Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 08:55:32 pm
The hair looks nice, but seems to be casting shadows onto the face from every direction. What's your light source? Shadows should all obey the same light source.

The outfit is nicely pixelled (aside from, again, inconsistent lighting), but it doesn't make much sense. Skin-tight clothing isn't literally skin-tight - this outfit apparently has boob-socks ;D It's also not very interesting visually. Try making the leather bits thicker, so that they change the character's silhouette. Also, don't try to put outlines on everything, especially interior elements. If you forego some of the outlines, you'll have more room to define volumes within the same space.

By the arm being jagged, I mean this:

That line looks very wobbly. Unfortunately, I don't know what to suggest, since you generally don't want the arm to be a perfectly straight line, either D: Fortunately, this probably won't be an issue once you give the characters unique poses, since their arms will probably be doing other things.

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 09:17:26 pm
Hi, you've already got some nice advice and made progress from your first attempt.

Here's my attempt to make an edit of it, hope it helps. :)

PS If skin complexion was intended to be dark then I've made a mistake during the change but you can change that yourself.

Offline yyboyyy96

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 12:48:39 pm
Hi, you've already got some nice advice and made progress from your first attempt.

Here's my attempt to make an edit of it, hope it helps. :)

PS If skin complexion was intended to be dark then I've made a mistake during the change but you can change that yourself.

the arms look a lot better now! nice work! however the lighting is a little too much I think for this style character(too many collors it makes it noisy) <<< could be my taste though xD

I tried to make the leather look a little thicker and did something different  with the light source.

changed the arms into the edit of@HarveyDentMustDie and enhanced the hair a little.

Offline Schwee

• SchweeDubulus
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 06:40:28 am
Not sure if this is still in development or not but I dig it.  Only suggestion I have is with the red haired model, break the silhouette on both sides of her face with the hair.
Looking to collaborate.  Hit me up, especially if you are a GM programmer, or if you just have some sweet ideas.