AuthorTopic: Good way to animate a scene?  (Read 2896 times)

Offline spajjder

• View Profile

Good way to animate a scene?

on: May 18, 2018, 12:54:17 pm
Hi.

I was wondering about how you guys think about animating a scene?

I'm not that good at programming but I would like to see how my game, or just individual moments might look if properly coded.
I have made a "room" in asesprite, or photoshop, and placed the objects and tilesets in the scene.

Now I would like to find a way to for example make my character move to the right, jump land on enemy and receive a power up, while doing to right animations when this happens.
Or another example, I would like to show how a boss fight will play out, how his different stages might look. Kind of sketch it so its easier to see what I want the code to do.

I would love some sort of "path" tool, that tells how a character should move, as well as which animation should play.

Is there a good way to do this without having to be a programmer? To sort of sketch what you want the game to look like? Any suitable software?

Thank you in advance!

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: Good way to animate a scene?

Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 03:16:19 pm
If you want to try your mockup in action, I think making a basic game with it is the best way, and it's not as scary as it sounds. There are game engines out there where you can set up a simple scene and characters without any programming (or just some copy+pasting), like Game Maker and RPG Maker. There are a number of other engines as well, some of them are free, and many of them let you set up simple scenes without programming or many other complexities. The popular engines have a plethora of tutorials, scripts, and templates that other people have made, so you don't have to do anything from scratch.

Offline Achrileg

• Achrileg
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 09:23:33 pm
Personally, I would probably mash everything together in Adobe Flash/Animate, since that program supports MovieClips, or graphics which you can easily change later on - you can update graphics quickly and easily. You can tween and move these MCs, create paths and make a convincing visualization, that can be iterated on easily.

BUT it is a lot quicker and easier to just go with coding a basic game together, if you know basic game engines. I personally am not good at that at all, so I stick to my guns. So, I'd suggest going with what eishiya suggested.

Offline tinytheghost

• down to talk whenever, message me :)
    • @tinytheghost
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 09:55:36 pm
There are plenty of pixel art tutorials on animation. I've been studying and training myself with the use of
saint11's tutorials regarding animation. I personally love his style and he has devoted himself to helping others learn pixel art through his patron.

I recommend using Hexels for anything if you have an extra $50.
I've been using Pixilart, but once I get my paycheck I'm using Hexels  :y:

https://www.patreon.com/saint11/posts?tag=tutorial
https://www.patreon.com/saint11/overview

What is this for? I can try my best to help you animate. Just PM me