AuthorTopic: [WIP][C+C] Robot warrior  (Read 4540 times)

Offline Linaru

• I eat pixels
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP][C+C] Robot warrior

Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 04:59:29 pm
thank you for the advice, I've attempted to improve the colours and adjust the contrast, have now decided to scrap the Megadrive palette and simply limit my self to 16 colours as my intention was to make a fairly dark and gloomy theme, which the Megadrive seems to lack a good range of dark colours.

I did not want to raise the colour palettes to look too bright as the intended environment is a dark worn down the abandoned spaceship ship interior.   despite that, I did tweak the hue and contrast a little to try and improve the shine.

I also picked out the colours for the green cloth and copper panels when I did this.

I think I'm going to take your advice and try and work out the details of the environment before I progress with the copper armour and details.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 05:57:13 pm by Linaru »
Linaru Greyfall

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 08:30:57 pm
Lookin' good Linaru

Don't be afraid to use white, or almost white (like the bright blue in the eyes) to add glittering highlights to your metal:

Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Linaru

• I eat pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: August 22, 2018, 01:17:39 pm
Okay, I've done a small mockup of the kind of environment we might have in the background and picked out some colours. it still
need s a fair amount of work but is enough to use as reference I think.

Mostly the shadings have been done as though the lighting is coming from slightly behind the tiles as then I can do foreground elements in a plain dark silhouette

I also played around a little with the characters shading but I'm still not quite happy with any of my experiments.

Addition:

I have now fleshed out the front on the pic a lot more, I'm struggling a little with the shading of the green fabric.. not sure how to make it look fabric-y in such a large area.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 12:05:36 pm by Linaru »
Linaru Greyfall

Offline Linaru

• I eat pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: August 26, 2018, 09:10:34 pm
okay, I took a short break to clear my head and then came back and attempted a new side on pose using my front on proportion to help work things out.

this would be the standing pose for a side on platformer so I attempted to turn it a little more to the side than the original, I also added a bit more shape to the legs as the original ones looked more like tree trunks.

I tend to go a bit pixel blind after a while tinkering so any thoughts or pointing out issues with the new silhouette would be appreciated.

Edit:

Made further adjustments to the overall pose, however, something just does not sit right with me.. I feel like the characters leaning forward but the body is tilted and I cant work out quite whats wrong about it.

Fixed what was bothering me with the standing posture, and started playing with basic standing animations.. not sure how to do this with a robot as they dont really breath.. but at the same time i dont want the character to seem to inhuman

« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 10:55:06 am by Linaru »
Linaru Greyfall