AuthorTopic: My first ever piece of pixel art - Devil Man!  (Read 1853 times)

Offline LambentTyto

• View Profile

My first ever piece of pixel art - Devil Man!

on: August 22, 2018, 03:32:06 pm
So this is my first ever piece of pixel art. It took me about forty minutes. I don't believe I plan to work on this more, being my first piece, it might be better to move on to something else, however I general critique on what I most need to work on might be pretty helpful. I'm going to guess and say general form (shape?) of the character. The anatomy is a bit off, I think. I'm not much of an artist when it comes to drawing. In fact, I don't do drawing/painting in any medium, but lately I've been getting interested in pixel art.

I also wonder if the canvas size is too small? It's 100x100 pixels, and the character is even smaller. He doesn't utilize much space, so I found adding details really difficult.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 03:42:24 pm by LambentTyto »

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Re: My first ever piece of pixel art - Devil Man!

Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 06:19:05 pm
The canvas size probably is not too small. The problem with adding details being difficult is what pixel art is all about. The goal is to abstract things into managable simple truths.

Adding details should always be the last step (not just in pixel art). First, start with the simple yet characteristic base shapes (for everything you draw or pixel), get that nailed down until you're happy with the pose and the overall shapes. Then proceed to identify the orientation of the base shapes by thinking of the figure as a collection of simple volumes, balls, tubes and boxes (practice that preferably in drawing not in pixels).

I blew up your pixels and drew over them, trying to adjust the pose a bit and in the process nudged things into simple and clear shapes. Not too happy with the proportions I ended up with myself (I think the upper torso is too long or the legs are too short) but might as well still share it to illustrate the general idea of aiming for clarity and simpleness first instead of going for anything overly detailed like trying to depict all the wrinkles in the cloth and cape, just pick a few important ones.

Offline LambentTyto

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 09:01:49 am
Hey, thanks for the reply. This is very helpful advice.That big about abstracting detail sounds kind of difficult, but I'll definitely try it out.

Offline tecnologgamer

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 08:47:50 pm

I also wonder if the canvas size is too small? It's 100x100 pixels, and the character is even smaller. He doesn't utilize much space, so I found adding details really difficult.

Actually 100x100 is a big space do work with Pixel Art. Think about it. A pixel art with 32x32 you have 1024 pixels to work on it and give some details. When I begin draw pixel art I take 5 days to draw 200x200 arts. It's very big. Like 0xDB says the canvas is not small and adding details could be difficult and some knowledge about anatomy could be helpful, you can learn some about it in Proko playlist about anatomy and was very helpful for me: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtG4P3lq8RHFBeVaruf2JjyQmZJH4__Zv

I suggest you work more on reshape your character more from the sketch which 0xDB made and then try to add shading and details. At least, it's a good start.