AuthorTopic: I need advice on an abandoned sprite pose, please  (Read 2433 times)

Offline thesydneylad

• View Profile

I need advice on an abandoned sprite pose, please

on: August 22, 2018, 06:43:20 am
I'll post all the relevant images at the end for the sake of easy reading.

See, I wanted to make a boss sprite of a Digimon called IceDevimon in the style of Castlevania. The dimensions I gave myself was 58x58, so I had that to work with. I wanted him to be sitting in an Indian pose, but for the life of me, I couldn't figure out the correct pixel sequencing. I'm a horrible drawer, but I couldn't draw the pose, either. We're talking at the very least, 12 attempts at drawing it on paper, so I am trying to nail that down as well.

I tried to look for a visual reference and I thought of Dhalsim from Street Fighter, but he sits in a meditative pose, so it got me wondering, am I trying to make something that's not possible.

I'm not at all asking for someone to create this pose via pixel art. A simple "Yes it's possible, and here's why" explanation is good enough for me.

So, to further explain, here's some images:

Indian Pose:
https://image1.masterfile.com/getImage/695-03389491em-teen-girl-wearing.jpg

Pic of IceDevimon:
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/digimon/images/9/92/IceDevimon_t.gif/revision/latest?cb=20090205072332

In this pic of IceDevimon, he's bent on his knees, and I'm wondering if I should have gone with this pose for the legs:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-asG0bMIa_IA/UzpJGKY83lI/AAAAAAAACeA/_6hDlK6bnuM/s1600/10a.png

Dhalsim:

I flipped the right image cuz I wanted the sprite to be facing the left to begin with. I also basically wanted that exact perspective, but with the Indian pose, but IceDevimon's legs were so long that I couldn't figure out how to do it.
I wanted to make the sprite for the sake of the challenge, but I'm clearly not ready for it yet.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 06:46:44 am by thesydneylad »

Offline Kiana

• Artist & Game Dev
    • kianamosser
    • View Profile
    • itch.io page

Re: I need advice on an abandoned sprite pose, please

Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 07:49:27 am
This is difficult, but definitely possible by breaking it down into manageable steps.

Start with the gesture of the pose (easier to figure out with pencil and paper). Don’t get too cerebral at this point because you aren’t trying to make an accurate drawing, you’re trying to capture the energy/life of the body. Get a feeling of where the weight is centered, any twists in the body, long lines of action, or places where the body crosses over and obscures itself. Use simple shapes and don’t be afraid to get scribbly. Don’t be afraid to alter the gesture if you’re referencing a photo. Study the silhouette.

Once you figure out a gesture that you like, start to construct the simple forms/volumes of your subject. By simple volumes, I mean spheres, cylinders, boxes, cones, and the like. For example, a head might be a sphere (with a jaw at the bottom), an arm or leg might be a cylinder, hips or ribcage might be boxes. At this stage, be sure to think about the direction things are facing in space. Is the thigh facing towards or away from us? Is it facing left or right? Up or down? Human-like bodies are very complex, but if you break them into pieces based on basic shapes/volumes: the head, neck, ribcage, midsection, pelvis, upper arms, lower arms, hands, upper legs, lower legs, and feet; it becomes more manageable.

Finally, you can add color and detail on top of your established structure. With small pixel art, less is often more, so you want to look for main establishing features. What features define the look of your subject? Which features could you imply, or live without?

Sorry for the somewhat long and potentially overwhelming process, but it can be used to draw literally anything you want once you get the hang of it. If anything is unclear let me know and I can try to explain better, since I’m unable to draw some examples at the moment.
To achieve mastery is not to be able to work without thinking; rather it is to have total control of one's choices.

Offline thesydneylad

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 08:08:28 am
Thanks, Kiana.

I always kinda knew the direction, focus and somewhat twists of the body, but I abandoned drawing cuz I wasn't getting anywhere (at all) and just relied on memory, which the image kept getting muddled and foggy everytime I tried to focus on what it was.

I had to leave quickly, so I forgot to mention that I've attempted this for about 6 days, both pencil drawing and pixel art and basically got no where. I once got the figure down...but GraphicsGale didn't save any of the work, despite me knowing that I told it to save.

I'll copy down the advice you gave so I can use it in the future.

Offline Kiana

• Artist & Game Dev
    • kianamosser
    • View Profile
    • itch.io page

Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 08:29:21 am
I’ll be honest, I still struggle with poses that require crossing of the arms or legs even though I’ve drawn them dozens of times. You’re dealing with overlap, foreshortening, and multiple objects in contact - all tricky in and of themselves.

Do you have any of your attempts saved? Is there anything in particular that stumps you? It sounds like you’ve been working it out for a while - perhaps some fresh eyes could help you get to where you want to be with the drawing.
To achieve mastery is not to be able to work without thinking; rather it is to have total control of one's choices.

Offline thesydneylad

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 08:51:46 am
Nah, no pixel art. I draw the sketches out on paper and then I erase them so I can reuse the paper.

And, it's like, no joke, that ONE time I might've got it right, I never came close to it again. But tbh, I had my doubts that I had that ONE attempt correct either way.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 07:33:35 pm
I draw the sketches out on paper and then I erase them so I can reuse the paper.
This is the best thing I've heard all day. Thank you.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 12:03:54 pm
When developing a skill you will fall and get you'll get back up again. This is the nature of progress.

Also usually better to start fresh than to keep erasing and remaking something ;)

Since figure drawing is a huge topic and encompasses so much I typically recommend these:

Figure Drawing for All It's Worth - Andrew Loomis

Constructive Anatomy - George Bridgman

Oldies but goodies.

I can't give any specific crits without seeing some attempts by you. I can only target something specific.