AuthorTopic: new to pixel art, tips?  (Read 1827 times)

Offline Catakitsy

• @catakitsy
    • catakitsy
    • catakitsy
    • View Profile

new to pixel art, tips?

on: August 19, 2018, 07:40:41 am
so i've dabbled in pixeling before, but i'm trying to really get into it
these two are some OC's of mine that i wanna use for a game i'm planning out, they're not official sprites, more like--concept art.
i've been looking at tutorials n such, and i got much to learn, so any critique is appreciated!

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: new to pixel art, tips?

Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 12:17:04 am
honestly a pretty decent start, if you're looking to make a game with these I could see it serving well.

Perhaps you should try practicing more with some turn-arounds and walk animations, that's easier to pick problems from.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 09:00:15 pm
Welcome Catakitsy :)

My eye is drawn to this:

This area is not using all the pixel real-estate available to describe the shapes.
Try to understand the space in 3 dimensions. How could this be described differently?
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Curly

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 10:54:36 pm
Looks pretty good. Seems like you've done some research on pixel art before and you're good at drawing.

The tall character is too dark. I guess that's the point but it would look better with some more contrast

Gray colors usuall look uninteresting and dull. I don't know anything about the character but the sprite could look more interesting with some color.
I made a very quick edit just to give you some ideas of how you can fix or polish some things.

I made the girl's pupil shape a bit cleaner and made the hand bigger. Tried to make the legs look more natural and changed the darker skin color so it pops out a little more (I made it redder and more saturated).

I love the style and design by the way ;D