AuthorTopic: Help with a waterfall  (Read 2765 times)

Offline seriatum

• View Profile

Help with a waterfall

on: August 19, 2018, 12:12:34 pm
Hello, I'm working on a waterfall as a fairly large background asset in my game. There are probably a few things wrong with this, but I can't quite put my finger on them. Does anyone have any experience in animating water and could give me some tips? This isn't really working for me! :'(

Offline Retronator

• Matej 'Retro' Jan
    • retronator
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/24236.htm
    • retronator
    • retronator
    • retronator
    • View Profile
    • Retronator

Re: Help with a waterfall

Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 05:30:40 pm
I don't have much experience with animating so I'll leave that for others to comment on, but the biggest problem I can see myself is that water is not flowing downwards physically correct. There are some places right under the rocks that it would simply not reach. Here's a quick display of what I mean:

Not perfect, just to illustrate the idea. It's OK if some of the trails 'snake' their way down along the face of the cliff, but the majority of what conveys a waterfall are the vertical drops of water that simply go straight down until they hit something. It can widen as it goes from top to bottom, but this is by trading depth for width. That means it thins out into a spray, so it won't be a very solid flow (you'd need to darken or dither it out or animate alternating sprays).
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 05:48:34 pm by Retronator »

Offline seriatum

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 02:38:51 am
Thanks for your response! Yes, I see what you mean and I think reworking it to something like what you've done will help. It will probably help with the animating too as I can concentrate on the individual streams rather than one big blanket of water. I'll give it a go, thanks!

Offline Odovedesign

• ODOVEDESIGN
    • BOOMCAKEART
    • View Profile
    • ODOVEDESIGN

Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 10:02:48 am
Hi, I think I can help a bit with my limited knowledge, check out my level design section of this site

www.odovedesign.com

I did a very simple river and waterfall and conveyed water motion not too badly, if you employ some of the pulsating flowing effects on a very basic level then work up from there, you may find that it is easier to do the finer details later, if you follow :)

I am not pretending to be better though! this is very good! It could just move more clearly
Oscar Dove - ODOVEDESIGN
www.odovedesign.com

Offline seriatum

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 09:05:16 am
Thanks! I actually really like the movement of your water, it's very effective.

Offline Jicklus

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 12:16:43 am
might as well drop in a piece I did with a waterfall. Most bigger waterfalls are usually white, so you could incorporate that.