AuthorTopic: Advices?  (Read 1822 times)

Offline Unkonoir

• View Profile

Advices?

on: August 18, 2018, 02:20:21 am
So I recently decided I wanted to improve my Pixel Art skilz. I'm not quite a beginner, but I've been on and off and most of the sprites I've made or worked on were for games I worked on.
I've decided, after a few hours of looking online, that one of the best way to improve was to ask people who already know the discipline well, so don't spare me, I really wanna learn new techniques, new ways to use colors etc...
If you have any links that could help me, I'd also be glad.

So here's two sprites I think are ok.
This one I made for a RPG Maker Battler contest where we had to make a Battler with the Theme Deep Sea I believe. It also is quite old. :

This I made yesterday during my sleepless night, quite proud of it. I used as reference for the chara design one of the drawings from Thomas Romain. You can find his channel on youtube.

Whatdya think?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Advices?

Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 01:04:25 am
Hi, Unkonoir! Thanks for posting your artwork.

First of all I want to say that I like your use of color, there's some ambitious ideas in terms of color swatches that you're blending together, it makes the eye follow the shapes well. However I think what would be helpful at this point is to go back a little bit to construction and think about 'the joy of pixels' a bit less and how to best represent volumes and light and texture a bit more. What I mean by this is that I feel you've started with relatively simple pixel sketches and then you colored them in and had lots of fun (fun is good, it shows in your final artwork!) with colors and some dithering an detail work on the dragon horns for example, the hair strands and so on. But before you got to that, it would have served you much better to have spent a bit more time with the sketch itself. For the dragon for example, really nailing down that worm-like body as a series of volumes with foreshortening and so on would have helped you a lot to make it more clear to the viewer. Never be afraid of looking at references from real life. Google a few snakes or serpents for ideas you can take and simplify and apply to your artwork. At this point you're going from imagination, and there's limits to how you'll learn like this. Please don't be discouraged by this advice, I can see you've already got some talent going and you are having fun with your pixels, but a bit more construction will really boost your work at this point.

The second piece I like more, probably because you stuck to your reference a bit more? Still I am not 100% as to how the face works. I love the pixel clusters on the legs, the tunic and the cape, though, you've got some good instincts about how to make your pixels work together there, but I think the helmet could use a little bit of a disambiguation. Would you like to share the reference so I can see what you were going for, there?

Offline Unkonoir

• View Profile

Re: Advices?

Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 06:14:33 pm
Thanks a lot for the comment, really means a lot to me that you took the time to make a (well constructed) response.

I see what you mean about the dragon, I coud have sketched it so that it seems to really come out of the depth, right now it just seems to kinda... Be here without much perspective in the art. Probably could have nailed better the overall shape.
Still kind of an old work but with your comment, it seems clearer how I could make it better now.

As for the ref, sure, here you go :