AuthorTopic: [C+C][WIP] warrior and mage character  (Read 1828 times)

Offline KaiserPixel

• @kaiser_pixel
    • View Profile

[C+C][WIP] warrior and mage character

on: August 27, 2018, 07:58:05 pm
Hi, after spending a while without drawing too much :'(, i come back wanting to continue learning.

I have created two characters, a warrior and a magician, I would like to know your opinion and how to improve these characters.

especially the warrior and her hair when she is without a helmet.
thanks in advance! :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 09:11:04 pm by KaiserPixel »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: [C+C][WIP] warrior and mage character

Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 12:47:53 am
Hi, KaiserPixel!

I like your characters. They're readable and they've got personalities, and the use of color is solid. If theres anything I would recommend at this point with these sprites is to, as counter-intuitive as that sounds, remove most of the internal bits of anti-aliasing you've placed pixel by pixel and just let the shapes breathe as they are a bit more. You're working at a high enough resolution (but not too high, well done) where you do not need antialiasing to convey the shapes you've got going. I know it's not to everyone's taste, but it might be a good learning thing to remove a lot of these single pixel shinies and other *implications of curves* and just let your diagonals and solid chunks of pixels portray the shapes. If this all sounds a bit abstract as a piece of critique, let me know and I'll do a modest edit if you'd like.

There are underlying anatomical issues, but then again anatomy is an endless pursuit. I like that you are gutsy and are attempting animations to give them more character, and the spell glow is interesting as a choice, but perhaps if you want to convey that kind of motion with the arm going to the side as the spell burns, you might need to keyframe a little bit more and not rely on just shifting just that one arm around while the rest of the body stands completely rigid. As always with animation, the best piece of advice is to act it out! Stand up, play the part in your bedroom, become this cool hooded wizard and pose 1, place yourself before the spell does its fancy arc, and pose 2, place yourself at the end of that motion. These are two keyframes, and the inbetweens will become MUCH easier to deal with when you've got those two solid places to start and finish from.

As to the hair of the warrior lady when she takes off her helmet, honestly I like the volume and colors, I think you're doing pretty good! If anything I'd simplify the antialiasing again, heh. But on the whole these are quite promising. Keep learning :)

Offline KaiserPixel

• @kaiser_pixel
    • View Profile

Re: [C+C][WIP] warrior and mage character

Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 03:46:30 pm
Hi Helm, thanks for the tips,
I have made some editions about the warrior lady following your advice

here a before and after

talking about her hair I like but initially I tried to make a long curly hair, I made several styles but I could not achieve the effect I want :-[

about the magician, yep seems static in a part of his body, I will try to improve it thanks again. :y:

edit:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 03:02:52 pm by KaiserPixel »