AuthorTopic: The Official Pirate Challenge  (Read 54703 times)

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

The Official Pirate Challenge

on: September 18, 2005, 04:24:40 pm
Pirate Challenge Main Post

Firstly, to clear any "timeline" things up, the event "starts" on monday, and goes either until all participants have turned in their pieces, or it officially becomes dead and nobody cares any longer.. With that all cleared up:

This is the main post for the Official Pirate Challenge. Please limit your postings in this thread to WIP works, Final works and critiques. If you think having a WIP only thread and a Finals only thread would be better suited to prevent spammage and to make things easier to go through, please send me a forum message and if I get enough considerations this will become the finals thread and I will create a WIP thread. People who are not involved in the challenge can post here but ONLY if it is critique of a piece, and only if the critique is given some thought. When the challenge is oficially closed, everyone is free to post their comments on the pieces.

The actual challenge doesn't begin until the 19th, but I thought i'd get things going a day early, to give people some time to get familliar with their partner, look up some references etc.. I'm going to try and lock the thread until tomorrow, or late tonight, and when it is unlocked, feel free to post away. Other than that, I think we have a great turn out for this event, 15 total teams comprised of 2 people each. If anyone is interested in joining, go ahead and say so in the sign-up thread. Other than that, have a great time, and I look forward to seeing some great stuff from you guys. Without further ado, the list!!

Group [ 01 ] BrotherInWar -- Negative Gravity
Group [ 02 ] Godslayer -- Helm
Group [ 03 ] Dogmeat -- Peppermint Pig
Group [ 04 ] Flaber -- Needs a partner
Group [ 05 ] G Dragon -- Pawige
Group [ 06 ] pHASE1 -- Sawtooth
Group [ 07 ] Xion Night -- istvan
Group [ 08 ] Darien -- ehwhy
Group [ 09 ] Lief -- sedgemonkey
Group [ 10 ] Monsoon2D -- Zolthorg
Group [ 11 ] Indigo -- jeiki
Group [ 12 ] Zach -- Pegucha
Group [ 13 ] Niss -- Kclic
Group [ 14 ] Kryon -- Akira
Group [ 15 ] pixelblink -- Pixel32
Group [ 15 ] DrDerekDoctors -- Neoriceisgood

And of course, heres the outline again:

1.0 - Description
1.1 - Date: STARTS Sept 19th – 9/19/05
1.2 - Time: As long as needed
1.3 - Size Restrictions: 180x145 : Template Provided to you ( right click, save-as to download )
1.4 - Color Restrictions: 18 or 32
1.5 - Style Restrictions
1.6 - Props
1.7 - Background
1.8 - Partners

1.0   – Description
This is the official Pixelopolis Pirate Challenge. The challenge will test users strengths in line-art, coloring, shading and scene creation. It will also force users to interact together to possibly create new friendships, or strengthen old ones.

1.1   – Date
We’ve chosen to start the event on September 19th because it is annual pirate day.

1.2   – Time
The Event should hopefully run as long as needed for everyone to complete their work on their partner.

1.3   – Size Requirements
I’ve created a template which is 180x145, it has a border around it and a space at the bottom that MUST be used to come up with a creative name for your “pirate friend” and also so that you may place your signature if you’d like. The border color can be changed, but keep it dark in nature.

1.4   – Color Constraints
18 Colors no transparency if you are doing just a pirate, 32 colors if you want to fill the entire area, this is for your scene only, the template with bottom area has a 8 color restriction, and it would be preferred for you to use colors from your image in these areas to try and learn to conserve colors. You must use at least 6 colors in your picture.

1.5   – Style Restrictions
Once you have a partner, you must try and get to know them, feel for their style, look up some of their artwork, talk to them, see what they like, etc.. When creating your pirate you want to incorporate your partners traits into the picture. For example, Dogmeat is fond of dogs, so maybe your pirate for him would look like a dog! Other then that, use your imagination.

1.6   – Props
Your pirate has to have at least 1 prop, and an optional animal. Props consist of peg legs, eye patches, hook hands, scimitars, etc.. Animals would be like parrots, dogs, etc..

1.7   – Background
Background can be whatever you want, but you have to keep it in the theme of pirates and what not. Ships, beaches, digging up treasure, etc..

1.8 - Partners
Partners will be partnered together at random and a list will be compiled of all the people and their partners before the actual event starts.

The other rules are as follows:

HAVE FUN!!!!

- Dog
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 01:41:33 pm by Peppermint Pig »
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Re: The Official Pirate Challenge

Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 12:16:33 pm
Just wanted to say 'ARR!', as well as wish everyone good luck, hopefully some good eyecandy will pop out of this, neh?
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 06:45:20 pm
godslayer, we're up, dude!. Let's rock this hard :)

Offline sedgemonkey

• Gimme gimme gimme
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Joint

Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 05:04:45 am
The maiden pirate WIP beeeeyotches...

Not too keep on the composition... might have to start over.  :(

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 05:36:50 am
aren't i purty? :P

Offline sedgemonkey

• Gimme gimme gimme
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Joint

Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 06:45:09 am
You're definitely one sexy bitch lief. Another revision.  Grrrr.  Don't you hate when you get halfway into a piece and you realize you screwed up a bunch of stuff?  Oh well.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 07:14:35 am by sedgemonkey »

Offline istvan

• View Profile
    • Pixel Joint Gallery

Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 07:54:53 am
Wait. As partners are we meant to be colloborating on one single work, or dedicating our pirate to eachother? Or does it matter which way we interpret it? Sorry if it was obvious, I just got a little confused.

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 03:15:29 pm
You are using the template to make a likeness of your partner as a pirate using the style guidelines and whatnot, he or she will do the same for you. So you are each working on an individual piece.

- Dog
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Reply #8 on: September 20, 2005, 10:01:22 pm
Don't worry istvan neg and I thought the same thing.   Now I got a basic sketch of what I want to do.  Not stick fig basic, a little bit better.  Just a little... Fear my mad 1337 drawing skillage! 
PS: Banging work sledge!

BOO YEAH!  Group 1 rules!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 10:04:17 pm by BrotherInWar »
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline Pegucha

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 20, 2005, 11:04:16 pm
Wait. As partners are we meant to be colloborating on one single work
Yea for some reason I thought we were supposed to do that. Thanks for clearing it up dogmeat