AuthorTopic: landscape illustration  (Read 2934 times)

Offline tyshka

• View Profile

landscape illustration

on: August 14, 2018, 03:14:22 pm
Hello everyone,
I'm trying to do a pixel art landscape illustration, but it still look really bland and boring. Any suggestions how can I improve it?
Also I probably started at a canvas way too big for it. Should I resize it down?

Offline Tensur

• View Profile

Re: landscape illustration

Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 05:33:06 pm
Try dithering the sky to make colors blend

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 07:33:47 pm
Ah, gorgeous.

It's very large. What is it's intended use?
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Peltast

• @PeltastDesign
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 09:54:48 pm
I like it!  I'm not really good enough to offer improvements, but if you feel that it's bland, perhaps you could add another light-source, like an old fashion lamp?

Offline aamatniekss

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 08:49:09 pm
Very lovely work! I dont think it is too bland. It's got it's own thing going on, very clean and good shapes.

As for suggestions, I think the one thing that sticks out to me the most is the gradient. I think it is the biggest contributor to why you think it is bland. Maybe making it be a more interesting change of colours rather than just a straight line gradient would help a lot.
Some other ways how you could possibly improve the boring feel is adding more contrast here and there. For example some rim light around the character to better make it pop. Some little wavy things in the water reflecting light. Darker colours towards the bottom of the image, so the eye focuses more on the middle. As well as maybe bigger foreground elements. You got the right idea there already, with adding that grass, but maybe making it bigger would help.
Anyway, here I very quickly whipped up some edit to illustrate my points. Hope it helps! In any case, you're doing great!

Offline tyshka

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 03:36:23 pm
Ah, gorgeous.

It's very large. What is it's intended use?

I know, I got carried away :D

Offline tyshka

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 03:37:42 pm
I like it!  I'm not really good enough to offer improvements, but if you feel that it's bland, perhaps you could add another light-source, like an old fashion lamp?

How about fireflies?

Offline tyshka

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 03:43:41 pm

I resized it, added rim light, some details and worked really hard on the gradient  :ouch:

What do you guys think now?

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 08:03:59 pm
Lookin' good!

It seems like the perspective is a bit off on the dock:

If you follow the parallel of the the sides of the dock they meet out in the sky, when technically the vanishing point should sit on the horizon (red lines).
That means some of the dock needs to be shaved off or added along the sides (green lines)

Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.