AuthorTopic: 8-Bit Pixel Art of Chun-Li  (Read 2723 times)

Offline thesydneylad

• View Profile

8-Bit Pixel Art of Chun-Li

on: August 12, 2018, 06:03:59 am
I'm really happy with the result. I used a cosplayer's pose as reference and drew it in a 2D plain.

The cosplayer image:
https://img00.deviantart.net/2473/i/2015/049/3/5/street_fighter__chun_li_by_sosochan1314-d5pfe8x.jpg

Please tell me if there is anything I missed or shouldn't have done.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: 8-Bit Pixel Art of Chun-Li

Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 10:29:45 am
Hey there, I saw your post about your goals for pixel art, and that you're starting from the bottom with 8 bit, I think that's a great idea ( maybe even try 1 bit at some point?)! You've done a good job at fitting all of Chun Li's costume details at such a small scale, but I think there's more you can do with the sprite, namely the pose and shapes. In my edit, I tried to more closely follow the reference, which leads to a stronger stance; don't try to fix it if it's not broken!

Since you're inspired by NES sprites; It might be useful to start thinking of your canvas sizes in multiples of 8x8, as that was the size of a single "sprite" on the console; of course many 8x8 sprites were often put together to create the full image of what we know as a "sprite".

If you haven't seen it already, Kasumi has a great post on NES  in the restriction guide thread:
https://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=10784.msg115062#msg115062

Also, this might be a bit advanced for where you're at currently, but I was interested in making a tracing to breaking down the Chun Li cosplayer into basic shapes. Some skill in drawing will definitely help you to improve your pixel work

Great start, especially seeing how new you are to pixel art, good luck on your journey!  :)

Offline thesydneylad

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 09:07:32 pm
Thanks for everything, Ryu. The reason why my Chung-Li is missing several parts like the dark shading of the pants, further detail of the balls in her hair and especially the white lines in the middle is because I've been telling myself, "Don't worry about the minor details. You can't do that in 8-bit. You've never seen it."
You've shown me that I should focus on the minor parts.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 11:20:05 pm
Heh, well I'm not sure if that's the right message to take from my edit, but as you do more work you will definitely get a better sense of what you can do with limited scale and colors. Some details which may be considered " minor" in terms of scale or contrast, are nevertheless iconic for someone's design, and usually worth getting in ( embroidery on her chest, hair decoration, and the sheen on her hose I felt were worth fighting for). Here is a simplified version of my sprite with some of these details taken away and even the 4th added color removed; I think my original is better, but the foundation and readability of the pose and character are still basically there:

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 03:55:26 am
Neat idea thesydneylad!
A few improvements for you:
-Try to remove the white background
-Move the eyes down to the center of the head
 :y:
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline thesydneylad

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 07:09:44 am
Heh, well I'm not sure if that's the right message to take from my edit, but as you do more work you will definitely get a better sense of what you can do with limited scale and colors. Some details which may be considered " minor" in terms of scale or contrast, are nevertheless iconic for someone's design, and usually worth getting in ( embroidery on her chest, hair decoration, and the sheen on her hose I felt were worth fighting for). Here is a simplified version of my sprite with some of these details taken away and even the 4th added color removed; I think my original is better, but the foundation and readability of the pose and character are still basically there:

No problem there, Ryu. I'm going to take everything you say as a lesson, it's just that 'minor details' have been an ongoing concern for me in terms of 8-bit sprites, so seeing that it's possible to add it into a small design without it looking overcrowded is a great lesson for me.

Thanks for the help as well, Rydin.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 07:14:06 am by thesydneylad »