AuthorTopic: Bushcut anim  (Read 11180 times)

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Bushcut anim

on: December 04, 2006, 09:33:31 am
(20 frames)
(some of the aa doesn't quite work against the forums)
mm, made for my RPG tiles, I think it looks pretty neat so any crits welcome.
I think I need to clean it up a bit, then I'll start an anim for the bushes to grow back  :)
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline eqko

• ehr !?
    • View Profile

Re: Bushcut anim

Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 10:09:22 am
not sure what's going on at the start with the sort of motionblur inspired thing ... looks weird imo ...

also the falling of the leaves looks more like dripping jell-o from a window. could be what you were going for though ...
previously known as equinoxx

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 10:10:09 am
It feels like the top of the bush gets launched too high into the air. Some of the leaves' falling animations feel off, too. The leaf on the very top just stretches and then dissolves. The leaf in the middle (the largest leaf at the start of the anim) really stands out during the falling animation, I think primarily because not only is it turning in a way that the others aren't, but it also has a more defined shape than the others. And the "bud" of the plant doesn't do much other than fall, it makes it seem less organic than the other pieces.

Can you understand which parts I'm talking about? If you want, I'm happy to pull frames and show you exactly what I mean.

All in all, though, I think it's great.. overall, it's not deserving of criticism nearly as picky as mine. :)
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 10:12:26 am
The animating is superb. However, the way it is now, it looks more as if the plant jumps up and falls apart. You could for example skip the entire stretching part. Maybe make a white to black flash to indicate en impact. No crits on the rest of it though.  :y:

Edit: Well, the others seem to have covered most of it already.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 10:14:09 am by snake »

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 10:18:40 am
the motion blur thing, is just that :P the leaves quickly get thrown upwards (imagine a sword going through the bush) then they slowly fall back down, on the subject of 'slowly' imageready wouldnt animate this any faster, so if anyone could speed it up to a more natural (not underwater) speed, it would be very appreciated.

akzidenz, the top leaf, while what you point out is true I think it could be taken either way :P
as for the large leaf, this was kind of intended, because its the darkest and probably the largest leaf I decided it should fade away before most other leaves because its probably the first leaf most would notice, then it disappears and they then notice the other leaves falling down.
the bud, i know I need to do something with it, but I just couldn't think of anything, really it should be more of a stalk, but then I'd probably still have done the same movement lol

and thanks :)

edit-
regrow:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 11:06:26 am by .TakaM »

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 11:57:55 am
If I could see the slash animation you want to go with this.
Then I could figure out what's going on.

Right now it looks like the slash is going vertically.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 12:24:37 pm
is it really that hard?
I thought the bush chop anim in twinsen was quite successful so I decided to do a similar anim
( here the sword is going down but the bush is still being thrown upwards, and I dont think it really matters much)
I havent done any sword slash anims for my rpg sprites yet, but I'd expect a simple top right to bottom left strike
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 12:33:07 pm by .TakaM »

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 02:46:05 pm
is it really that hard?
I thought the bush chop anim in twinsen was quite successful so I decided to do a similar anim
( here the sword is going down but the bush is still being thrown upwards, and I dont think it really matters much)
Indeed it does matter. The force is being applied downwards, and because of the structure of the bush it flies outward and somewhat upward.
If you sliced upward the majority of it would move out and down.
sideways.. well, the classic vertical bisection, with leaves trailing out behind the leaving part. None of these match your anim very closely.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 03:00:14 pm
I have the feeling AI, that what I said got a bit misinterpreted, so just to clarify:
I don't think I'd need to consider a wide range of physics for in something like a 'bush being cut animation' as long as there is at least some sense to it.
the animation as it stands is full of energy and gives a clear sense of speed which is the main impression I want to give.

other games where you could chop up bushes had pretty unrealistic animations for the bushes, i think its one of those things that can be easily justified as style

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 04:30:14 pm
I think the problem is the trunk is getting shot upwards, as well as the leaves, even though it would be much heavier - try just motion blurring the leaves up, and not that core piece!