AuthorTopic: Knights and Chill  (Read 1724 times)

Offline Nafis

• View Profile

Knights and Chill

on: August 09, 2018, 12:10:34 am
Knight #865044

Thoughts?  :-*

Ooo the animation is a bit slow... oops.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Re: Knights and Chill

Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 09:17:28 pm
Hmm... The sword seems too big.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Venomniac

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 03:41:59 pm
Everything above the hips looks spot-on.

Sword looks to be the right length - its width makes it look more kite-like, though.

I'm not sure if it's the lack of neutral resting pose, but the legs look too small at the between-steps to me.

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 06:46:41 pm
Edit: I just noticed the shadow is shifting. As the bulk of shadow is likely being cast by his chest piece and his body is very stiff (it should be) then I think the shadow should remain almost unchanged during the walking cycle. In fact, at this scale maybe it would best to keep the exact same shadow in all frames, even if it is not accurate. An accurate little wobblying of the shadow by a few pixels per frame is only going to be irritating/disorienting to the viewer and won't comunicate anything about the 3d shape.

The sword: I think the size of the sword is an intentional distortion, like a very forced perspective or fish eye lens effect, which is not necessarily a bad idea in topdown sprites.

However, since you didn't applied the same effect in the ratio between the head, the body and the legs/feet, it ends up a bit unharmonious.

You can either make the lateral line of his torso/legs encline, having a roughly "inverted triangular" body with forced perspective and keep the wide sword, or you can dial down the perspective on the sword, wich doesn't means it has to look completely straight/thin.

A bit of forced perspective, if not overdone, is a healthy cheat in topdown, I think.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 08:52:58 pm by Vinik »