AuthorTopic: [Feedback] Hilly background  (Read 1841 times)

Offline Wolfang25

• View Profile

[Feedback] Hilly background

on: August 07, 2018, 03:27:53 am

Hey guys,

I was wondering if i could get some feedback on this background I made. It’s supposed to be a grassy side-scrolling background with a few small cliffs.

I’m still figuring out how to do larger backgrounds so any criticism is welcome.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 03:35:41 am by Wolfang25 »

Offline Wolfang25

• View Profile

Re: [Feedback] Hilly background

Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 03:35:18 am
I’m having problems with posting the image so I’m going to link it here.

https://imgur.com/gallery/9vB9DnD

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 01:46:35 pm
You have to use the URL of the image itself, i.e. https://i.imgur.com/xWeRnVT.png

Is it raining? If so, why is the rain only visible against the rocks and grass, but not the sky?
If it's not raining: don't try to get every tiny bit of texture in when you're doing pixel art, you don't have room for it. Use larger clusters, ones big enough to communicate the general shape/texture, even if it's off-scale. And try to avoid using similar textures/cluster-shapes for different kinds of objects.
The scale is very unclear, I can't tell whether the small cliffs are tiny, e.g. a few centimetres tall, or human-sized or larger, so I'm not sure what kinds of strokes to recommend you use.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 08:18:26 pm by eishiya »

Offline Wolfang25

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 08:13:25 pm
Thanks for the feedback. The highlights over the grass are supposed to be stands of long grass and the shading on and below the cliffs is the shading. The sun is supposed to be to the left of the the hills. The cliffs are also supposed to be about human-sized.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 10:08:17 pm
Grass is a timeless pixel art topic. The almighty grass tile.

Two very quick thoughts:

1. The macro shape of the land is carved out by the grass. The overall land has it's own shape and is carved and lit as its own large object.

2. What you've got on your's is a dark background with some darker color strands.
What I would suggest is the ground is actually darker, because less light makes it through the grass cover.
Instead, each strand of grass , and patches are lit up as their own thing.
Some strands of grass are burried deeper while other strands overlap them.

Here's roughly what I mean:

Hope this helps breathe some life into your grass!  :y:
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.