AuthorTopic: pixel god video in MS Paint!  (Read 35237 times)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: pixel god video in MS Paint!

Reply #70 on: December 11, 2006, 01:18:57 am
can someone enlighten me on why that painting is so horrible?

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #71 on: December 11, 2006, 03:05:57 am
Wow... After reading a number of posts in this thread, I gotta say that alot of people here are pretty arrogant and egotistical.

Ofcourse, I don't mean to offend. Just an observation.

*creeps away before getting her ass kicked by the community*

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #72 on: December 11, 2006, 05:27:36 am
haha

"You look like your face caught on fire and someone put it out with a chain.  No offense, it's just an observation!"

I think this discussion just stemmed from the fact that this guy is a self-proclaimed "god" and that there are many people who seem to support that opinion, when he is clearly not deserving of that title.  Keep in mind that most people here object to having ANY artist being called a "god," whether or not that artist is mediocre or amazing.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #73 on: December 11, 2006, 06:41:13 am
can someone enlighten me on why that painting is so horrible?

Ditto. I guess my artistic tastes aren't as heightened as you guys, but I think it's a lovely scene. I'm not saying it will be remembered forever and ever, but...it looks good to me. I guess I'll have to check this guy out and see the rest of his gallery just to get a hold of the hateration. But seriously, it's 500 times better than I could ever pull off by pixels, or by any media.
my back hurts...

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #74 on: December 11, 2006, 08:18:18 am
people find the painting horrible because people find the painting cliche. however, i am a robot so i have no opinion on the subject.
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #75 on: December 11, 2006, 08:45:07 am
Just check all the other paintings Kincade made and you will start to get a strong gag reflex and feel the bile rising soon enough. More or all his pictures are these ultra cliche peaceful American landscapes and quite a few of them reek patriotism by having a good amount of American flags waving in them. It's just really, really flat and boring white american christian conservative kind of stuff that is too sickenlingly sweet for my likings. I for my part never said he is a bad painter, technically he is skilled, just his subject matter is puke reflex inducing to me.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #76 on: December 11, 2006, 09:53:43 am
Quote from: Thomas Kinkade - Wikipedia
In Kinkade's own words,

There's been million-seller books and million-seller CDs. But there hasn't been, until now, million-seller art. We have found a way to bring to millions of people, an art that they can understand.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #77 on: December 11, 2006, 11:12:26 am
Wow... After reading a number of posts in this thread, I gotta say that alot of people here are pretty arrogant and egotistical.

Ofcourse, I don't mean to offend. Just an observation.

*creeps away before getting her ass kicked by the community*

Perhaps you shouldn't attempt hit-and-run value judgements. They usually don't lead to good things. If you feel compelled to comment on someone's character on the internet, why don't you adress them directly, tell them exactly what they said that you object to and give them a chance to explain themselves.

It is all the more telling that you're expecting an asskicking that will not arrive.

About Kinkade, ptoing at al: technical merit is one thing, the majority of one's work being redundant or abhorrent on the motive and aesthetic level another. Pixelgod I said, and maintain, doesn't know how to draw right. He should work on his fundamentals. His humans are wonky in lights and anatomy, faces especially strangely made, lips improvised, so on. Furthermore I do find his work garish and generally over'shopped, but that's another thing. At least this Kinkade person seems to be technically accomplished to a degree.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 11:14:45 am by Helm »

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #78 on: December 11, 2006, 12:16:17 pm
Sorry about my earlier post. Coming back and reading it again, I notice that it sounds like a troll post. I appologize for that.

But back on the main issue, I still don't understand why half of everyone who have responded in this thread have been so smug and criticizing so negatively.

Yes, the artist shouldn't proclaim himself a "pixel god". And yes, such a self-proclaiming title does deserve some ribbing. And yes, this is not necessarly pixel art in the sense that it's not done in a "pixel by pixel" method. But all that doesn't take away from the fact that the artwork still is good regardless.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #79 on: December 11, 2006, 12:29:04 pm
fact that the artwork still is good regardless.

Is that really a fact, though? Isn't there room for opinion on what constitutes good art? Aren't I allowed to have my opinion that this is, pretty dull, uninspiring, a terpid trace-over of a photograph, with little to nothing going for it? Is it smug or me to have such an opinion? Why?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 12:31:02 pm by Helm »