AuthorTopic: [WIP] - Dark Knight  (Read 8249 times)

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] - Dark Knight

Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 04:38:53 am
cool edit! I think i may do some sort of glowing effect, maybe not around the sword specifically, but something to that effect.  Also, i do kinda want to lushen up the armour's colours, to match the swords.  The sword looks nice and clean, like an SNES sprite would, i guess, the rest is kinda dull. (on mine, not your edit.)

I will prolly add just one or two more greens, if it really needs it. but i like to keep my colours to a minimum as to avoid pillowing. (it's a personal preference, mostly.)

thanks again for the edit, i dig it. (although, i have come to dislike the old sheild style. :P)

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 05:47:33 am

not much changed on the knight (sadly. i am really tired.) but some sort of effect/dunno. Not sure about the smoothness, i will clean it up, i guess. just an idea.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #12 on: December 08, 2006, 10:54:34 am

I guess everyone does things differently. I like to use an excessive amount of colors (whats the point of optimisation anymore, theres
no color restrictions on computers now?). Even though 8 is too much, definately try to have enough for smooth transitions.

I preferred the old design, maybe you should work on that one more. Its really inventive armour imo. You've got a helmet that looks like a bird beak, the taco shield and a really long cod piece.
I can't say I really like this edit...it looks pillow shaded..though it doesn't really seem to be so
Here's my edit:

The lineart was left mostly untouched, except for the chest area.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 11:24:08 am by Shadow Wolf »

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 10:23:03 pm

Okay, so this is where this piece stands now.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006, 07:38:04 am
The shield looks good. You can tell its wood immediately. The cross looks really good (is the cross cut out of the shield - ie. its less thick
where the cross is ?) It looks that way to me. It looks good, though maybe it would make the shield less strong. I like the highlights on the armour.

The flame effect I'm not so sure about. Maybe it should be restricted to his sword (else why don't the feathers catch fire?)

Did an edit that might give you some ideas. Shows that once you've decided on the magic fire glowing stuff you should incorporate
that into lighting. Also that having grey tones in the armour might better suggest its made of metal.

Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline pixelblink

• View Profile
    • pixeljoint

Reply #15 on: December 12, 2006, 08:08:19 am
I'd just to mention that everytime I see this thread I keep expecting to open it up and see Batman. You dirty bastard! Shame on you for tricking me.

Liking that animation!

Offline Colonel Mustard

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: December 12, 2006, 10:40:24 am
My two cents would be that the animation looks good, but too repetitive, everything happens at once, and then repeats. Try to shuffle it up a bit if you get my point :O

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: December 12, 2006, 12:46:16 pm
oh wow. i am loving the edit, sharprm. I see what you mean about the shield, i was attempting to get it to look like a metal guard across it, but i can see why it looks like it's cut out of it.  I will keep fiddling with it. thanks for all the input, guys. :)

@pixelblink - doh! i didn't even think of that. :P

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #18 on: December 12, 2006, 01:55:13 pm
 Awesome edit. It's good that it's inspiring me also.