AuthorTopic: Need someone to draw only one sprite, so I can get a size reference  (Read 3082 times)

Offline jakejake_

• View Profile
Hello, I'm a programmer working in GMS2, and I'm trying to get my core mechanics down for the game I want to make.
I was thinking 32x32 character sprites. However, a lot of 32x32 art I've seen online has been the same style; short chibi characters in the style of GBA Fire Emblem or something of the sort.

My game is a sidescrolling action platformer.  My main character has a slim, tall, sleek design. I'm wondering how good a character like that can actually look in 32x32.

If anyone would like to help me out by drawing the character in the same style as an image I will provide for you, I'd really appreciate it  :) I will provide an image of the character standing in an idle state for reference.

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile
You can already take a hint from existing games, to see the kind of level of detail you can afford - or if your vision is doable at this kind of size.
32 pixel high is exactly the main character in Castlevania Circle of the Moon.

At this kind of size, if you keep realistic body proportions it leaves around 4 pixels for head. So you can't rely on having character-defining face or hair.

Offline jakejake_

• View Profile
I can definitely understand that SOME 32x32 looks like that. But I mean... I look at something like this
http://puppiesandanime.tumblr.com/post/166898066458
All 32x32 with identifiable features. I guess I'd really just like to know how good it CAN look.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 05:20:44 am by jakejake_ »

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile
It sounded like you wanted an in-game slim, tall, sleek character. If what you want is chibi-ize it, that's a completely different matter.
I will provide an image of the character standing in an idle state for reference.
Why don't you do it now? It would be much more likely to have somebody have a try and share the results.

Offline jakejake_

• View Profile

There you guys go.

It's just that I've seen low detailed chibis, high detailed chibis, low detailed tall sprites, but not really any high detailed tall sprites.
I'd really just like to get an idea of whether or not he should be fine in 32x32 or if I should scale the game to 64x64 or something. The only way I could really tell is by seeing him in real pixel art.