AuthorTopic: Help: Problem with Pencil Tool (Photoshop) // 1px does 2 horizontal pixels  (Read 3051 times)

Offline XeDArt

• View Profile
Hey guys,
I'm in need of some help regarding the creation of pixel art on Photoshop. I've searched various tutorials, saying similar stuff, and in spite of following the steps (basically, setting up the pencil, the sheet and changing the interpolation and grid), I keep having a strange problem: my lines are double-pixelated when vertical (only)! By this I mean, it creates two square side by side horizontally.
Would any of you have any guesses about how to correct this?
I've tried with mouse and pen tablet alike.
Thanks!

Offline Kiana

• Artist & Game Dev
    • kianamosser
    • View Profile
    • itch.io page
Could you show a screenshot of what it looks like when you try to draw, and your brush settings? I’m wondering if your issue is coming from the tool you’re drawing with, some sort of grid snapping, or if it might be a viewport issue.
To achieve mastery is not to be able to work without thinking; rather it is to have total control of one's choices.

Offline XeDArt

• View Profile
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qg_kYhGNEqSUzQ2pGBH1qknSOPU4pybw/view?usp=sharing

Here it is. You can notice everytime I draw a line vertically the line is thicker.
Thanks.

Offline Kiana

• Artist & Game Dev
    • kianamosser
    • View Profile
    • itch.io page
Hmm, your brush and viewport settings don’t seem to be the issue. It’s possible that the problem is being caused by your grid snapping settings. Is View>Snap To>Grid or View>Snap To>Guides on by any chance? If not, perhaps it’s something that can be fixed within Edit>Preferences>Units & Rulers?
To achieve mastery is not to be able to work without thinking; rather it is to have total control of one's choices.

Offline XeDArt

• View Profile
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dz42NzhAG_K8kx8YzFzOYQkHHd0BOp7d/view?usp=sharing

Here's the preferences screen. I've tweeked somethings and retweeked, and the problem remains.
I was snaping to Grids, but now I'm not, and  I've tried to unsnap other stuff like document or layer to no success...

Offline Kiana

• Artist & Game Dev
    • kianamosser
    • View Profile
    • itch.io page
I compared my settings to yours and they look the same aside from your brush spacing being off. That did cause some weirdness with my brush when I turned it off but I wasn't able to produce the same results as you.

I did some searching and found only one person with the same issue as you. Some things you may want to try are resetting your brushes OR replacing your brush set with the Basic Brushes set, resetting the pencil tool by right clicking on it, or making sure View>Pixel Aspect Ratio is set to Square (you can also edit this setting when you're creating a new document).

My guess is that the Pixel Aspect Ratio is the problem considering that your document window title says [scaled].
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 10:56:46 pm by Kiana »

Offline XeDArt

• View Profile
You guessed right!
Thanks a lot problem solved.
I look forward to work with this community aready!

Offline Kiana

• Artist & Game Dev
    • kianamosser
    • View Profile
    • itch.io page
Awesome, glad I could help you figure it out. Happy pixeling!  :y: