AuthorTopic: Help - where should I pixel ?  (Read 2109 times)

Offline Usutra

• View Profile

Help - where should I pixel ?

on: July 30, 2018, 12:16:58 pm
Hello! I learned a bit pixel art in the past and now I want to get more serious in the topic. I checked online for the best platform to do it, but there's too much info and I cant decide. Can you guys help me on picking the right place to pixel in ?  :)

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: Help - where should I pixel ?

Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 02:13:47 pm
Does it have to be an online platform/"place"? Most people use offline programs to make their work, as they're usually more responsive, feature-rich, and customizable.
Here's a recent thread about the software people here use. There are some other threads too, just use the forum's search feature and look for "software" or "programs".

Offline Kiana

• Artist & Game Dev
    • kianamosser
    • View Profile
    • itch.io page

Re: Help - where should I pixel ?

Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 04:17:01 pm
If you’re overwhelmed by the options, I suggest trying each program as they all have different things to offer and many of them are free or inexpensive. I switch between programs myself depending on what I’m doing: Photoshop for general static pixeling since I’m comfortable with the program, Pyxel Edit for tiles because it has tools that make creating tilesets easy, GraphicsGale or Aseprite for animation.

I won’t go through all the options since the thread eishiya linked already did, but ultimately, programs are just tools and there’s not really a “one size fits all” solution; just use whichever program you feel comfortable working in that has the tools you require.
To achieve mastery is not to be able to work without thinking; rather it is to have total control of one's choices.