AuthorTopic: Attempt to make Landia look like he's from super star ultra  (Read 1539 times)

Offline Lumelore

• View Profile

I'm trying to make Landia fit in with the KSSU graphics. I think I failed on the anti-aliasing.
Here's a picture of Kirby from the game for reference of what I want the anti-aliasing to look like.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 03:17:45 am by Lumelore »

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Re: Attempt to make Landia look like he's from super star ultra

Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 09:10:15 pm
Hi Lumelore!

I like the idea. You've picked a great example for this sort of anti-aliasing.

My eyes are noticing three main things:
-The texture in the wing, chest and shoes. If you compare to Kirby, it's all smooth. To achieve such a look, I think the texture and extra detail needs to go. No use spending extra colors on these.

-The color choice. If you look at Kirby, the saturation of each color is quite heavy on the dark hues. Each color pulls its weight. Compare to yours we are getting a "flat" feeling. Consider the colors being used to anti-alias.

-Where to place the anti-aliasing. On Kirby, the anti-aliasing is to help build the shape towards the outline. The "inside" of the character is being anti-aliased towards the black outside. On your character, the anti-aliasing is being used to smooth out volume, but not to build a volume shape towards the edges and outline.

;D
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Lumelore

• View Profile

Re: Attempt to make Landia look like he's from super star ultra

Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 03:15:25 am
Thanks, I've done a few tweaks since I've posted and I also watched a video on anti-aliasing too. The main change was just de-saturating the main red. I definitely agree that I do need to make my darks more saturated. For now I'll post this updated version of Landia. Tomorrow I'll do some more anti-aliasing re-coloring.