AuthorTopic: Beginnings of a tileset  (Read 18345 times)

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Re: Beginnings of a tileset

Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 09:33:57 pm
Jad that's awesome!
I'm going to try that out to see how I can get that tree within perspective; the circles look like a good way to get things aligned.
By the way, how did you start with the grasss you made? I really love how smooth it looks and I hope you can share alittle insight as to how you went about that edit.

Thanks

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 10:11:09 pm
I started out with your grass, and since it looked mostly like green flat stones with shading, I started by removing all of the dark 'blobs'. Then I jagged the edges of all the bright blobs, to give it the structure of being grass. This in itself also somehow works as a form of dithering, giving form and smoothing it all out at the same time. Then I started using the dark green to define places where the grass is deep, or at least that's what the brain is being tricked into believing. You can see that I did not at all care to see so that the grass could be tileable so that'd have to be fixed if I made a game sprite for real.

The trick with the dark green was that I almost never added it so that a dark pixel (almost) never touches a bright pixel horizontally or vertically // Edit: Or rather, that a whole dark strand of grass never is directly, in its entirety, touching a field of bright grass pixel-by-pixel, since that creates contrast > which makes the brain look for special detail > since there is none, it just comes off as grainy and distracting :<

So one wants to avoid that.

Then I simply played with the colours (Graphics Gale makes that go so damned fast.) until I found a low-contrast pallette of greens that looked smooth.

As you see, I went about it with a couple of different approaches; The middle is just a bright blob with jagged edges and some middle-bright-green pixels in there to create form and texture (I had my eyes pinned on the Preview window as to check that none of the middle-value pixels inside the bright blob came out as distracting; Diagonal placement of neighboring pixels come out as thin and smooth, I realized.).

The upper middle consists of more separated blobs, still with very little of the dark added in (it's so distracting when it's just everywhere, I think.).

The upper left was me playing around with the dark colours, came out half-okay I guess.

The right border was mostly me jagging the edges of your blobs. Half-assedly. (a beautiful adverb, that) :\

The lower left is still untouched.

Does that help? :]

Your avatar is über-nice too, I love the hi-res smoothness going on.
' _ '

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 10:31:57 pm
Thanks so much- I've got some homework to do!

But really, thanks for sharing that with me. I'm going to sit down after studying for my final exam and I'm going to play around using your directions. I currently use paint and photoshop but I might just download GG- is there anything better than GG? (pro motion out :>)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 10:36:26 pm by gliding »

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 11:07:17 pm
Download GG Lite. Free and easy to understand. Just do it, I command you :0 If you don't like it you can always uninstall it. All features there except for saving in gif.

Animation works but one has to export all frames in another file format and then make an animated gif out of them. But that is possible and easy with GG.

So Free Version GET! I tell ya!
' _ '

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006, 11:16:13 pm
ok then  I will do  :D

I might * acquire* the full version when I get home   :hehe:

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: December 06, 2006, 05:43:35 am
Here is an update on my progress

What i've had trouble with is the transition tile, I'm gonna work on that again later. edits welcome.

C&C please.

Butt kissing welcome aswell :y:

sorry about the double post

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: December 06, 2006, 06:57:33 am
In the grass texture i see like a depth.. Somekind of /\ form in each tile, its wierd. The colours are really nice, atleast in the grass. In the rock texture its a bit to extreme, for a road.. now if it is a road O_o, anyway in the grass>rock tile the grass needs to.. how to explain.. needs to expand more, it changes tiles to simple. Its like a line.. :o

Hope you understand what i mean, anyway the tiles are comming out really nicely, keep it up :y:

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: December 06, 2006, 09:02:11 am
Mostly buttkissing from me.

The grass tiles are looking beautiful. The one thing that stands out as a difference between your tiles and Jad's tiles is that all of your grass seems to be of an equal height, depth, etc - whereas Jad's examples had variations in brightness/contrast/etc that made them look more varied. I think it's something that's pretty easy to implement now that you have a sweet base grass tile.

Other than that, though, keep up the good work. Looking great. That's all I have to contribute. :y: :)
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline cruel

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: December 06, 2006, 08:15:08 pm
Hey Gliding Bud!

Like Zoso said, you've just done one line to show the transition from grass to dirt, and it just gives a really abrupt change, i made an edit, I'm still working on art, so it probably sucks, but it shows what i mean at least:

« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 08:45:50 pm by cruel »

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: December 06, 2006, 09:00:16 pm
I like the new edit cruel, I'll probably go in that direction