AuthorTopic: Beginnings of a tileset  (Read 18432 times)

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Beginnings of a tileset

on: December 02, 2006, 08:49:14 pm
I've recently been working on an rpg in development. I've done a few of the preliminary tiles but I could use some help- as well as tips as to how to go about this type of thing. ( its my first real tileset).

Which grass tile do you guys like better?.

BTW, the game is titled Book Of Souls.

P.s.  I was inspired by one of adarias' pieces.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 08:57:09 pm by gliding »

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Re: Beginnings of a tileset

Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 09:50:31 pm
That grass is really nice, the problem is.. It might be a bit to bright, now that doesnt matter if thats the style you want for your game... And yea, the texture is not really grassy, it looks more like moss or like rock. Look when i made this edit of the colours, its a perfect rock pattern.

Anyway i made this fast grass with your pallette, i know its booring and repetive but thats just becouse its only one tile, i did't really even check the sides for errors i just wanted to help you how grass tiles could be made simple, now thats for kinda.. town grass rather than a forest and such.

I still like yours alot, and i would only like to see a recolour with a bit more contrast. Keep it up  :y:

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 10:06:33 pm
I'm pretty happy with the style so far, I just want to know which one you guys prefer, a or b? Although, i might try a recolour.

( edit}

I might just retexture it

« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 10:08:35 pm by gliding »

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 12:02:14 am
Sorry about the double post:

But I've moved on to re-doing one of the trees and I i've done the earth tile.
C&C please.

Offline shinydarklink

• XD
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 04:04:06 am
I like the earth tiles. The yellowish color you added created a nice illusion of depth.
The tree is looking good so far, but i'd like to see more variation in color, it's a bit bland.
Purple is your friend ;)

-Shiny <-> out

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 04:08:55 am
thanks shiny,

I try to use purple but I find that too much gives it a generic look. Thats why I prefer red or pinkish tones (in some cases) because they are more appelaing to my eyes. If you want, you could do an edit for my viewing pleasure! :y:

Offline Vale

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 05:02:02 am
I really like these tiles, but they look really flat. I think it might just be bacause just a small area is shown. Same with the tree. The tee seems to be at the wrong angle right now, but we will see once it is further along. I'm interested to see an update.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 08:01:07 pm

Edit which is mostly a suggestion.

Be wary when putting dark pixels next to light pixels since it causes high contrast which is something the eye spots without fail. Also be considerate about where you put them darkest pixels. They stand out in a dotty way if you're not careful.

I tried edtiting the tree but it looked like crap, so disregard it. I redid what I was trying to do on the right instead, look there :>

Good luck mate.
' _ '

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 08:12:15 pm
Thanks for the edit Jad; I really like your colours. I 'll definately use yours as reference when I retouch these tiles. In regards to the tree, I'll probably just redo it.

Does anyone have any useful tips on making sure trees hold with standard rpg perspective?

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 09:22:55 pm

I do!

I think you see what I did, right?

Also then making the structure of the tree, see so that the bulgies and things that go horisontally really wrap around the tree, that'll give the 3d effect you want :] (as opposed to mine which looks a bit flat :\ But the edges of the tree is like I want'em to be :>)
' _ '