AuthorTopic: Beginnings of a tileset  (Read 18426 times)

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Beginnings of a tileset

on: December 02, 2006, 08:49:14 pm
I've recently been working on an rpg in development. I've done a few of the preliminary tiles but I could use some help- as well as tips as to how to go about this type of thing. ( its my first real tileset).

Which grass tile do you guys like better?.

BTW, the game is titled Book Of Souls.

P.s.  I was inspired by one of adarias' pieces.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 08:57:09 pm by gliding »

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Re: Beginnings of a tileset

Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 09:50:31 pm
That grass is really nice, the problem is.. It might be a bit to bright, now that doesnt matter if thats the style you want for your game... And yea, the texture is not really grassy, it looks more like moss or like rock. Look when i made this edit of the colours, its a perfect rock pattern.

Anyway i made this fast grass with your pallette, i know its booring and repetive but thats just becouse its only one tile, i did't really even check the sides for errors i just wanted to help you how grass tiles could be made simple, now thats for kinda.. town grass rather than a forest and such.

I still like yours alot, and i would only like to see a recolour with a bit more contrast. Keep it up  :y:

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 10:06:33 pm
I'm pretty happy with the style so far, I just want to know which one you guys prefer, a or b? Although, i might try a recolour.

( edit}

I might just retexture it

« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 10:08:35 pm by gliding »

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 12:02:14 am
Sorry about the double post:

But I've moved on to re-doing one of the trees and I i've done the earth tile.
C&C please.

Offline shinydarklink

• XD
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 04:04:06 am
I like the earth tiles. The yellowish color you added created a nice illusion of depth.
The tree is looking good so far, but i'd like to see more variation in color, it's a bit bland.
Purple is your friend ;)

-Shiny <-> out

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 04:08:55 am
thanks shiny,

I try to use purple but I find that too much gives it a generic look. Thats why I prefer red or pinkish tones (in some cases) because they are more appelaing to my eyes. If you want, you could do an edit for my viewing pleasure! :y:

Offline Vale

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 05:02:02 am
I really like these tiles, but they look really flat. I think it might just be bacause just a small area is shown. Same with the tree. The tee seems to be at the wrong angle right now, but we will see once it is further along. I'm interested to see an update.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 08:01:07 pm

Edit which is mostly a suggestion.

Be wary when putting dark pixels next to light pixels since it causes high contrast which is something the eye spots without fail. Also be considerate about where you put them darkest pixels. They stand out in a dotty way if you're not careful.

I tried edtiting the tree but it looked like crap, so disregard it. I redid what I was trying to do on the right instead, look there :>

Good luck mate.
' _ '

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 08:12:15 pm
Thanks for the edit Jad; I really like your colours. I 'll definately use yours as reference when I retouch these tiles. In regards to the tree, I'll probably just redo it.

Does anyone have any useful tips on making sure trees hold with standard rpg perspective?

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 09:22:55 pm

I do!

I think you see what I did, right?

Also then making the structure of the tree, see so that the bulgies and things that go horisontally really wrap around the tree, that'll give the 3d effect you want :] (as opposed to mine which looks a bit flat :\ But the edges of the tree is like I want'em to be :>)
' _ '

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 09:33:57 pm
Jad that's awesome!
I'm going to try that out to see how I can get that tree within perspective; the circles look like a good way to get things aligned.
By the way, how did you start with the grasss you made? I really love how smooth it looks and I hope you can share alittle insight as to how you went about that edit.

Thanks

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 10:11:09 pm
I started out with your grass, and since it looked mostly like green flat stones with shading, I started by removing all of the dark 'blobs'. Then I jagged the edges of all the bright blobs, to give it the structure of being grass. This in itself also somehow works as a form of dithering, giving form and smoothing it all out at the same time. Then I started using the dark green to define places where the grass is deep, or at least that's what the brain is being tricked into believing. You can see that I did not at all care to see so that the grass could be tileable so that'd have to be fixed if I made a game sprite for real.

The trick with the dark green was that I almost never added it so that a dark pixel (almost) never touches a bright pixel horizontally or vertically // Edit: Or rather, that a whole dark strand of grass never is directly, in its entirety, touching a field of bright grass pixel-by-pixel, since that creates contrast > which makes the brain look for special detail > since there is none, it just comes off as grainy and distracting :<

So one wants to avoid that.

Then I simply played with the colours (Graphics Gale makes that go so damned fast.) until I found a low-contrast pallette of greens that looked smooth.

As you see, I went about it with a couple of different approaches; The middle is just a bright blob with jagged edges and some middle-bright-green pixels in there to create form and texture (I had my eyes pinned on the Preview window as to check that none of the middle-value pixels inside the bright blob came out as distracting; Diagonal placement of neighboring pixels come out as thin and smooth, I realized.).

The upper middle consists of more separated blobs, still with very little of the dark added in (it's so distracting when it's just everywhere, I think.).

The upper left was me playing around with the dark colours, came out half-okay I guess.

The right border was mostly me jagging the edges of your blobs. Half-assedly. (a beautiful adverb, that) :\

The lower left is still untouched.

Does that help? :]

Your avatar is über-nice too, I love the hi-res smoothness going on.
' _ '

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 10:31:57 pm
Thanks so much- I've got some homework to do!

But really, thanks for sharing that with me. I'm going to sit down after studying for my final exam and I'm going to play around using your directions. I currently use paint and photoshop but I might just download GG- is there anything better than GG? (pro motion out :>)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 10:36:26 pm by gliding »

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 11:07:17 pm
Download GG Lite. Free and easy to understand. Just do it, I command you :0 If you don't like it you can always uninstall it. All features there except for saving in gif.

Animation works but one has to export all frames in another file format and then make an animated gif out of them. But that is possible and easy with GG.

So Free Version GET! I tell ya!
' _ '

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006, 11:16:13 pm
ok then  I will do  :D

I might * acquire* the full version when I get home   :hehe:

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: December 06, 2006, 05:43:35 am
Here is an update on my progress

What i've had trouble with is the transition tile, I'm gonna work on that again later. edits welcome.

C&C please.

Butt kissing welcome aswell :y:

sorry about the double post

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: December 06, 2006, 06:57:33 am
In the grass texture i see like a depth.. Somekind of /\ form in each tile, its wierd. The colours are really nice, atleast in the grass. In the rock texture its a bit to extreme, for a road.. now if it is a road O_o, anyway in the grass>rock tile the grass needs to.. how to explain.. needs to expand more, it changes tiles to simple. Its like a line.. :o

Hope you understand what i mean, anyway the tiles are comming out really nicely, keep it up :y:

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: December 06, 2006, 09:02:11 am
Mostly buttkissing from me.

The grass tiles are looking beautiful. The one thing that stands out as a difference between your tiles and Jad's tiles is that all of your grass seems to be of an equal height, depth, etc - whereas Jad's examples had variations in brightness/contrast/etc that made them look more varied. I think it's something that's pretty easy to implement now that you have a sweet base grass tile.

Other than that, though, keep up the good work. Looking great. That's all I have to contribute. :y: :)
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline cruel

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: December 06, 2006, 08:15:08 pm
Hey Gliding Bud!

Like Zoso said, you've just done one line to show the transition from grass to dirt, and it just gives a really abrupt change, i made an edit, I'm still working on art, so it probably sucks, but it shows what i mean at least:

« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 08:45:50 pm by cruel »

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: December 06, 2006, 09:00:16 pm
I like the new edit cruel, I'll probably go in that direction

Offline Vale

• View Profile

Reply #20 on: December 06, 2006, 09:58:08 pm
The grass looks an awful lot like the top of a christmas tree (multiple). It needs to be flattened out. I personally think more of a circular pattern makes it look more flattened. Also with the path, it looks more like a cliffside...

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #21 on: December 07, 2006, 12:11:30 am
the cliff and grass textures look kinda the same - just different colors.  Perhaps make the tiles more diferent from each other.  personally  i like the grass tile - looks a lot more than 3 colors.  i would probably ditch the dirt one and make another, possibly with a transition tile between grass and mud....

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: December 07, 2006, 12:32:49 am
I'm happy with the grass tiles- I might rearrange the blades a bit though.

I'm going to play around with the dirt for a while llonger- maybe its the texturing that sets it off?

Edits welcome.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: December 07, 2006, 02:43:58 am

I do!

I think you see what I did, right?

Also then making the structure of the tree, see so that the bulgies and things that go horisontally really wrap around the tree, that'll give the 3d effect you want :] (as opposed to mine which looks a bit flat :\ But the edges of the tree is like I want'em to be :>)
jad, i see myself coming back to this awesome edit quite a bit, for future reference.

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: December 07, 2006, 03:00:53 am
I know what you mean ryu.

Thanks again jad, not everyone would've taken so much time to do that.
 :y:

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #25 on: December 07, 2006, 10:59:00 am
Yes, congrats on great critique, Jad.

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: December 14, 2006, 05:21:36 am
here is my latest update. i'm still working on those tress jad so those are coming up. I basicly revamped the style to fit the look that we were going for- bright and cartoony.

C&C much appreciated.

I need help with the perspective on the main character aswell.

BTW I know the selout on that rock is a bit wonky, I'll iron that out soon enough  ;)

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: December 14, 2006, 07:59:56 am
Aww! Cute li'l character! I love him! ^_^

And your tiles and objects look great! Me likes.

I think the perspective of the character looks very good.

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: December 14, 2006, 12:26:58 pm
thanks ryona ^^

Does anyone have any advice about the legs? he kind of looks like his knees are bent-0 i might wanna fix that  ;) .

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: December 14, 2006, 03:17:15 pm
I love it.. i love the rocks and the road, the water is the only thing i dislike, everything else is fantastic. I love the second grass tile, it looks much better than the first one.

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #30 on: December 14, 2006, 08:34:32 pm
Thanks zoso, I like the water because it kind of reminded me of a crayon coloured drawing- that's the kind of quality i want this game to have. A slightly sketchy- childish, even, work of art.

The trees are coming soon- please keep the C&C going as well.  :y:

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile

Reply #31 on: December 14, 2006, 09:12:48 pm
I'm in love with the colours you've got going (Seriosly, i think im going to marry that rock) and as ZoSo said, everything but the water looks great.

I dont know why but i think clear water would really look lovely with the rest of your tiles. i might do an edit to see if i can show you what i mean.

Theres a Gremlin in My Computer!

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #32 on: December 14, 2006, 09:22:02 pm
Thanks Metal, and be my guest.

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #33 on: January 05, 2007, 01:15:47 am
*necessary double post.

Ok, it's been a while since I last updated this topic, but I've recently done some work on a tree.

It's no where near perfect or even completion. I think a bit of CC would be just what the doctor ordered  :y:

I'll also accept comments and advice regarding making tilesheets as I'm new to this type of thing.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: January 05, 2007, 01:20:31 am
Looks nice, i really like the trunk. I would change the grey/green base colour of the leaves to a darker greenish blue to give it a bit more depth.  Also, if possible, add the extra tiles and make the canopy wider, right now it looks kinda like a... tree-shroom.

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #35 on: January 05, 2007, 01:23:04 am
Thanks, should I keep the overall shape of the canopy or should I make it more dispersed. I was going to try showing more of the branches but I couldn't do it well enough that it still held the perspective I'm going for :/

edits appreciated.

Offline Vale

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: January 05, 2007, 05:18:49 am
Yeah, the canopy does need to be much wider. As for the shape, I think it should be good. It seems to me like to much of the trunk is showing and the leaves should be lower but maybe not. Seeing so much of the trunki makes the tree look really tall.

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #37 on: January 05, 2007, 01:00:16 pm
Thanks vale, I'll get an update on here asap.

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #38 on: January 05, 2007, 04:44:37 pm
Why did you change the shape :o.. I liked how the shape looking in the beginning, now it looks like a fat old lady stuck in a tree :o. Kinda randomly swirled.. Tree's dont grow that way :o.. Anyway the leafes are pretty good, only problem is the leaves are viewed from up, while tree looks viewed from regular standing position.