AuthorTopic: my panda doll  (Read 22659 times)

Offline michi

• View Profile
    • MiChutopia

my panda doll

on: September 18, 2005, 02:19:09 am
Hi all, this is my first time posting here.

Here are some "dolls" of my panda character that I've been making in the past few days. It's a female panda, so the idea is for me to come up with at least one outfit a day to satisfy her enormous wardrobe. She also have some costumes for special conventions...

Well, just some simple stuff. Hope they are not too boring ::)
If you are interested in the character herself, here is some non-pixelart graphics of her that might show you more details since I am not very good with pixel art...
C&C welcome!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2005, 02:25:03 am by michi »

Offline garsh

• I'll trade you 9 mouses for a pencil.
    • View Profile

Re: my panda doll

Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 02:44:27 am
She's adorable. She doesn't look much like a panda to me, though. More like a panda/hamster/person.

I'm especially fond of your use of contrast. You minimize outlines, which is a look I like, and in other places you maximize contrast to draw things out. It looks like you have a good grasp of selout, too. I would say you're quite an accomplished pixel artist, but maybe that's just because you're appealing to the geek in me with the Star Trek and Harry Potter themes. My favorite, though, is the ballerina with doongle-bobblers on her head (that's the official ballet industry term).

Could you do one that's a little goth or street-punk with those little stubby tails in her hair near the neck line? I would just like to see that.

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 08:35:57 am
I think that the shape of the mouth sets it off making it not look like a panda.
Maybe the addition of a nose could help, but I believe that that kind of mouths only work on er... let's say "animals" with small snouts.
Might be a matter of style but doesnt convince me at all.
I just noticed that while you put some blue light source on the left (our left, and so making the hair blue/purple) it doesnt affect the arms nor legs on any but on the one holding the broom, so yeah you might want to check that.
Maybe the shadow that the hair makes could be AA'd better, but ah well.

Other than that, adorable.
Keep the "panda<3lvoe" coming
haha sorry XD

Offline michi

• View Profile
    • MiChutopia

Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 05:04:38 pm
thanks for the comment!
Goth outfit is something I want to try as well. Will see what I can come up with.

About she not looking like a panda but more like a hamster. I totally agree with that.
I think it's the lack of the signiture panda eyes.
I gave up using it though because it makes her looks like a zombie:

Maybe I should just give up the idea of calling her a panda...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2005, 05:06:18 pm by michi »

Offline DrDerekDoctors

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 05:45:59 pm
Haha, that is *soooo* cute. Really really lovely colours and shape. Just wonderful. Love the Harry Potter one!
--

DrDerekDoctors

Offline michi

• View Profile
    • MiChutopia

Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 01:19:19 am
Addition for today:

I am having some problem with the bracers and AA, but I'll leave it here for now...

Offline Schu

• The front is a lemon avenue flying straightly
    • View Profile
    • Eyegore-net

Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 03:06:55 am
What a coincidence, I was just browsing your website the other day :3 Love your artwork! And these pixel-pandas are way too cute XD Great stuff, I especially adore the Chung-li-Panda and Kimono-wear-Panda!

Welcome onboard~
---Schu

Offline garsh

• I'll trade you 9 mouses for a pencil.
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 19, 2005, 04:50:31 am
I see what you mean about the zombie thing. It's peculiar since real life pandas don't seem particularly reminiscent of reanimated corpses. likewise, real zombies don't actually gnaw on bamboo and make me want to hug them. Nevermind that, though, you go right on calling her a panda. I'm sure I've seen plenty of highly successful cartoon characters that share little, if any, resemblence to their animal namesake. Look at Stimpy the cat, for instance.

Offline Kennethfejer

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 19, 2005, 12:39:53 pm
love em!
especially chun lee... oh and the star trek one of course ;)
btw, you need one dressed up like mario, that would be the ultimate awesomeness! :D

Offline LuciferianSoul

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 19, 2005, 02:32:55 pm
Wow, it's so cute! ;D