AuthorTopic: [CC] Sprites for RPG/adventure game  (Read 5342 times)

Offline Peltast

• @PeltastDesign
    • View Profile

Re: [CC] Sprites for RPG/adventure game

Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 07:34:06 pm
Alrighty, adjusted forward/left/right cycles and added the fourth.

I tried to add a bit of torso rotation to the forward cycle, and tweaked the animation on the hair for all others to try and make it a bit more lively and react to body movement.  I walked back some of the added width of the hair on the side-view - the cut is supposed to be very short in the back going down to the neck, so I think it makes sense for the hair to join the head's outline there.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 12:53:23 am
Hi! I don't have a lot of critique because I love your sprites, honestly. I can see you've gotten a lot of great help in this thread, this makes me happy. The only thing I wanted to mention, and I don't mean to contradict critique elsewhere, but I am not usually a fan of moving the head of a sprite horisontally on a walk cycle much, because although it might look correct stationary, once the sprite is in the game and moving to a place I've almost always found back-and-forth head movement to be too snappy. Because the sprite is ALREADY in motion at probably more than 1 pixel per frame, when the head falls back it will look as if it's staying in the same place for a duration of cycles, and then when the sprite gets to push its head forward 1 pixel in the abstract, in motion it'll look like much more than one pixel. Try it out in your engine or even just in flash or some other animation suite and you might see what I'm talking about. Perhaps that's my pet peeve, though. Anyway, gorgeous little character!

Offline Peltast

• @PeltastDesign
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: August 30, 2018, 01:06:52 am
Hey, thanks for the kind words!!  :D  Yep, this thread has been very helpful.

The horizontal movement was my own addition, so no contradictions there.  I'll be sure to see what it looks like in the game and watch for that jarring effect - it'll be easy to remove the horizontal movement if that's the case.