AuthorTopic: [wip][nudity] Re-interpretation of old artstuffs  (Read 13095 times)

Offline Morganne

• View Profile
    • Morki's deviantart

[wip][nudity] Re-interpretation of old artstuffs

on: December 01, 2006, 04:37:10 pm
Hello again!
I feel horrible because every time I promise myself I'm going to get back into the pixel scene something happens and I end up dropping it before I ever really start. This time I fried a hard drive and got a job, so I haven't had much time or motivation to get things done. Well no more!
Ive been wanting to pixel something, but I couldn't find a worth-while subject... so I went ahead and attempted to re-interpret something old. One of my favorite older pieces of mine is a silly little naked faerie I did for a pixelation challenge quite some time ago.

Heres the new version, with a sketch just so you can see where I'm going:
            Newest:
And the old version, so you can see where I'm coming from:

I don't really like whats going on with her outstretched leg (Ill probably have it bend a bit more naturally, so it doesn't look like shes doing the faerie potty dance) and her bosoms (which currently float more than she does)... I'm almost happy with her midsection, but theres something wrong with it that I cant pick out just yet...
..and is it just me, or is her face kinda manly?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 11:34:53 pm by Morganne »

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Re: [wip][nudity] Re-interpretation of old artstuffs

Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 05:01:55 pm
the lower leg is too long... and inversely the upper leg is too short...

think in terms of that magic number PHI - 1.66 (the golden ratio) the lower leg is 1/3 the length of the upper...

and the head is huge... I don't know if that's the effect you want but if were me I'd reduce it down a fair bit.

nice sketch btw - but again.. the proportions are out... and that left hand (on both albeit WIP) doesn't read... think about changing it so it works in silhoette)

funny... I'm working on somethign VERY similar at moment... (will reveal all soon)

keep on pushing!

:)
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 05:10:38 pm
She does look pretty manly. Mainly due to the large angular chin, the sturdy cheekbones and the somewhat large nose. She has a very short middle section, but her whole anatomy is hard to judge because her head and right lower leg are pretty large compared to the rest. Her hair is covering a large portion of the forhead and makes is look larger. I also noticed her left leg is connected allmost at her groin. You might want to move it a little more to the left. In addition, it is noticeably shorter than her right leg. I don't want to point out any of the technique before I see where this is going.

I'm not able to provide edits at the moment, so I hope the advise helps.

Offline AlienQuark

• be triangular
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 05:25:22 pm
Holy fuck it's Morganne  :o

Haven't seen you around these joints in forever, good to have you back.

As for the art, you can definitely see quite an improvement from when you were last seen, and that's definitely reassuring. The foot on the long leg looks a little dark, you could probably go a little easier on the shading, but other than that it's looking great.

Offline Morganne

• View Profile
    • Morki's deviantart

Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 05:58:47 pm
Thanks guys!
So far, Ive tried to femenize the face, elongate the torso, and make the legs more proportionate... and a few other miscellanie.

That foot will be the death of me, I'm sure.

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 06:29:02 pm
It helps a lot to make the highlight color of skin a pale yellow rather than pure white. I think the nipples are a bit too small and dark, and the shadow between her breasts is a bit too dark as well. There probably wouldn't be a shadow there at all, what with her being naked and all. The detail on the stomach is a little weird, I think, but I'm don't know enough to be useful. Other than those few issues it's looking lovely!

Offline Fly

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 06:37:14 pm
This is turning out nicely. I think maybe if you added a little pink or purple flower behind her ear it would give more of that earthy feel.

Also I think that the way the area around the belly button is colored makes it look like she has a pouch. Almost like a gorrilla would have. You know that lighter color thing, where there is less hair. Maybe if you kind of merged that dark and light better it would look thinner and she would look less chunky.

I just think if you are going to give a female such beautiful brests, and great legs and arms, that it would look better if she was thinner in the waist.

Also her chin is a tad masculine.

This is a great piece...Hope this helps you make her as beautiful as possible.  :)

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 06:38:48 pm
I like this piece, though I agree on Pawige's comment.
But I also have trouble making out her right arm (Our view)

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 06:50:22 pm

Hi ...

I've had a shufties at your fairy and it's coming along nicely...

I've had a fiddle... hope you don't mind.

A few things to take note of...

1. the silohette... keep checking it 'reads' - the first image is yours unedited... the second is it's silohettte - the 2nd image I've pulled her head up a touch to try and intorduce some 'negative space' between her right shoulder and chin... - the neck's a tad too long perhaps but this clearly shows how the two silhoettes differ in such asubtle way... the first looks hunched... the second (my edit) looks more proud...

2. your still off on your proportions... the 5th image along hilghts areas that you should look at... her right arm, theupper is shorter than the lower, perhaps there are elements of foreshortening going on, but still it doens't look quite right... Her right leg, (the one betn under her bottom) is seriously out - that lower shin is way too long... and I can't see any evidence there of foreshorteinng as the leg is pretty much side on to the viewer... finally... her left arm/hand... I think I can make out what you're trying to do having had a closer look... but, again... think of the silohette... what I think you were attempting would be masked out by her upper arm (in the background) - what I suggest is opening her arm out more and trying to either flip the hand up... or down (see final image) - I thinkn down wou;d worl better as this has same 'movement' that her right hand has.

3. That last image is me scribbling... I've tried to hilight areas that I would move... as well as indicate main muscle masses on that lower leg. that green circle in the center is her thoracic mass... and notice the hips and the points at either end (important frames of reference when doing nudes)

Don't give up... you're on it for sure... but I think if you tightned up the points mentioned it will improve dramatically...

I'd love to see how this turns out - my favorite is studying the human form. and this piece is right up my street (so to speak)

good luck...

Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Lelle

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 08:00:44 pm
Heya,

First time Iīve seen the [nudity] tag actually!

Anyways, itīs looking very nice! Though her left breast(our right) is smaller than the other even though itīs closer to us. Also it seem as if she has a invisible bra on her since the breasts doesnīt seem to follow the law of gravity, though I guess itīs more likely she has "enhanced breasts"? One last thing is that it looks like she is about to fall, or even in the falling motion since the upper body and leg seem to be "on their way" already.

Looking forward to seeing more :]

Cheers,

Lelle