AuthorTopic: Uploading images without AA/blur  (Read 2867 times)

Offline Peltast

• @PeltastDesign
    • View Profile

Uploading images without AA/blur

on: July 11, 2018, 09:44:53 pm
Edit: Internet outage caused me to double-post as I didn't realize it went through the first time.  :blind:  Please delete this or the other one, thank you

After a long hiatus I'm hoping to get back into some more pixelating, but I'm running into a problem that I didn't have previously, and I feel like I'm missing something obvious.  Basically, all the ways I've tried uploading my images add some AA, which is bad enough by itself, but doesn't agree with the nearest-neighbor styling used in this forum, which causes things to look really messed up.

Example:

I can't exactly do a side-by-side of how it should look, but hopefully it's clear where the issues are (especially if zooming in and out).  The original image is a clear PNG and looks fine in practice - it's only after upload that it begins to look blurry.

I've looked into imgur and checked the "high quality images" box which I read would fix this, but no dice.  Other uploading sites that I tried tamper with the image the same if not more.  This seems like something mind-numbingly simple so I'm not sure what I'm missing.  Like I said I never ran into this issue before so maybe I'm going crazy.  Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: It's been a very long time, but if anyone somehow has found this and has a similar problem, yrizoud was correct in his reply: my display setting was at 125%.  What made this weirder is that for my laptop (windows 8 ) it didn't actually show any percentages, just a slider from "smaller" to "larger".  Not very helpful.  Moving it to "smaller" fixed things.  windows UI is tiny and uncomfortable, but things actually display correctly, which is sometimes more important.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 02:59:32 am by Peltast »

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: Uploading images without AA/blur

Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 10:03:29 pm
It looks fine and sharp to me. Sounds like maybe your web browser doesn't support nearest neighbour interpolation?

Offline Peltast

• @PeltastDesign
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 12:01:05 am
I was going to say that it looks the same to me in Chrome/Firefox/IE...but when I switched to another computer it seemed to be fine - so it is on my end after all.  There must be something about my laptop's display that's throwing it off (which is weird because everyone else's images looks fine on my laptop), but as long as it looks fine for everyone else that's all that really matters.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 12:02:50 am by Peltast »

Offline pouf marocain

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 10:50:02 pm
I was going to say that it looks the same to me in Chrome/Firefox/IE...but when I switched to another computer it seemed to be fine - so it is on my end after all.  There must be something about my laptop's display that's throwing it off (which is weird because everyone else's images looks fine on my laptop), but as long as it looks fine for everyone else that's all that really matters.  Thanks!
i had the same problem, Thank you for this suggestion.

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 11:07:43 pm
Many Windows machines have the desktop display settings at "125%"

I don't recommend going back to 100% if you're generally satisfied with how your Windows looks, but make a mental note of your current setting. Browsers trust this setting and "start" at this level, but you can change current page's size using control+mousewheel.
If Windows is at 125% and you zoom the page to 80%, graphics should go back to 1:1 scale (1 pixel of image matches 1 pixel of screen)
If Windows is at 150% and you zoom the page to 66-67%, graphics should go back to 1:1 scale
This also works at higher zoom levels, ie. if you zoom to 160% and 133% respectively, the image will look 200% and sharp .

Some browsers or browser extensions can remember you preferred zoom level for a website, so that you can alway have 1:1 ratio in your usual pixel art forums and galleries.