AuthorTopic: Help with this coloring  (Read 1688 times)

Offline DarlesLSF

• View Profile

Help with this coloring

on: July 08, 2018, 06:17:45 am
Hello guys, im new on the pixel art world and started to draw some things.
Im making this ghost to a game and want some help about the colors of it, I dont know if its good or what to do to be better.
Original file:

My edit (8bit):

I think on arms need a better color, but dont know how to do haha, I tried a lot of combinations and no one it pleases me haha

Sry for my english, it sucks :P

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Help with this coloring

Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 11:01:26 am
It has other issues besides coloring. If you can shift your priority to fixing this, do:

Proportions are wonky, I.E. you've messed up the shoulder profile and arms angle
No bottom of robe
Don't know if perspective is top-down or front-on, I'm guessing front-on?

Very basic stuff. May add edit.

Offline questseeker

• View Profile

Re: Help with this coloring

Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 01:29:40 pm
You appear to have picked colors faithfully (maybe too many, but they aren't confused or incoherent), but you ruin them with a bad use of outlines, particularly
  • around the "hands" (at the very least, they should be blue, not purple)
  • at the bottom of the robe (it's ragged, like the "hands")
  • around the head (the "face" has the only outline-worthy proper border in the whole object, while the exterior should be identical to the cloth surface)

Then you have bad shading, some original (like the round pillow shading in the front of the robe) and some faithful to serious errors in the reference (nonsensical symmetry, light on both sides of the head).

Bad shapes are also partly reproduced from the reference (no neck, short robe, short sleeves) and partly new in the pixel version (the out of character broad, robust shoulders and the front of the robe)